Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

While driving my 98 explorer the "4WD High and 4WD Low"

Customer Question

while driving my 98 explorer the "4WD High and 4WD Low" lights started coming on intermitantly. the vehicle runs fine with no indication of a problem. What is the significance of these lights coming on?
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: The lights on the dash to the right of the speedometer
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried nothing. Is this potentially a serious problem or can I drive the vehicle
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Ford
Expert:  davehop replied 2 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JA.....the 4x4 high and 4x4 low lights will flash at the same time to indicate that there is a fault detected in the 4wheel drive system. This can be as simple as a difference in driveshaft speeds or as complex as an overheat condition inside the transfer case. The best course of action is to bring your vehicle to advance Auto...or pep boys...or Auto zone...these places will scan your system for free, and then you can tell me what code(s) are in there so I can determine what is going on with your vehicle...
Can you get to one of these places and have the system scanned so we can find out what codes are in there?
Expert:  davehop replied 2 months ago.
Are you still in need of assistance?