HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

My 99 Vic 115000 miles overheating... Engine Fan works when

Customer Question

My 99 Vic 115000 miles overheating... Engine Fan works when a/child is on...but temp Guage still climbs after idling at normal remp...going down road is when it gets hot
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: No leaking...just emptied and refilled with 50/50
JA: What is the model of your '99 Ford?
Customer: Crown Victoria non police
JA: Are you fixing your Crown Victoria yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Thinking of putting in new thermostat Sunday. ..
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Dealer many years ago replaced head gasket before I owned it...It was using some coolant/not leaking...I put a 2 chemical in 1 sealant in 3 months ago that seemed to fix it...until last week I noticed it using coolant again so I tried a different sealant (K&WFIBERLOCK in green bottle)... It said to NOT pour in overflow but pour in top radiator hose
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

Hello,are you having this problem only after draining and refilling the cooling system? Do you have good heater output if you turn the heater on? Does the ac fan run on low and high speeds? Do you have access to a scan tool/any warning lights on? Will the fan come on by itself if the ac is off and the engine starts to run hot? It will start to overheat after a few minutes of idling?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
to firstart question Yes have heat...a/c fan works on all speeds...no check engine light....no scan tool...
At idle from cold start...temp Guage goes to normal as stays normal at idle.....Guage moves to hot wheen a/c is on driving down road
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No to call
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

Ok so it only overheats while driving down the road for awhile when the ac is on?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
sir
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

Ok, if the fan is working on both high and low speeds but still running hot especially while driving then its either a blockage between the radiator and ac condensor. Check for any dirt, grass, leaves or debris in between this area and clean it out and recheck. If its clean then I would suspect a restricted radiator internally. if you have a digital temperature probe when the engine is off you can check the temperature across the face of the radiator. it should be the same across it. A 10 degree cooler temp is towards the bottom of the radiator. if you see a drastic temperature difference or feel a cold spot with your hand when it is hot, the radiator needs to be replaced. SInce its running hot, it would be a good idea to replace the thermostat also.