Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

91 Ford pickup brake pedal goes all the way to the floor.

Customer Question
91 Ford pickup brake...

91 Ford pickup brake pedal goes all the way to the floor. almost no brakes

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tried cleaning and oiling the brake pedal's pivot under the dash?

No, I haven't tried that. How would a pivot affect brake pressure?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '91 Ford?

I think it's an F150?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I want to fix it myself, but I haven't tried anything. It acts like fluid is passing by a piston.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, I'm just researching the possibilities and probabilities before I try anything.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
7/28/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 11 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

The most likely issue would be a leak in one of the brake lines. Check the master cylinder and if it's low or empty, add some fluid and have a helper pump the brake pedal. This will show you where the fluid is leaking.

Now it is also possible you have a wheel cylinder leaking in the back or a problem with the master cylinder. IF you look under the truck while someone pumps the pedal and you don't see any leaks, then you should remove the rear drums and inspect the wheel cylinders for leaks. If not leaks, then the master cylinder is probably the problem.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!