Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years experience in Foreign & Domestic Vehicles
45790705

My 2002 ford explorer eddie bauer editon keeps failing to

Customer Question

my 2002 ford explorer eddie bauer editon keeps failing to start spradically. I disconnected the fuse to the radio to see if that was the issue it helped for a couple days. NOw when I turn the key the first click I hear the DVD/TV spinning so I am wondering if that may be drawing power when the car is turned off.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: the car is in park, not sure of wheel lock feature. It will jump and I know the battery, alternator and starter are working fine I had them already checked.
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, As I have mentioned I disconnected the radio as it appears to draw some power when the vehicle is off. I am trying to locate the fuse for the dvd/tv and I haven't discovered which one it is.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing I can think of.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The interior lights are off, the automatic switch for headlights is also off. This is my son's vehicle so I am not sure of exactly every episode but it has been occuring regularly for the last 2 weeks.
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

DVD/RADIO/AMP POWER ANTENNA ARE ALL ONE FUSE ,It will be Fuse #3 in the passenger fuse box a 20 AMP fuse ,CLICK ON THE LINK TO VIEW THE PDF FILE SHOWING YOU THE FUSE LAY OUT AND FUSE DESCRIPTION AND POSITION NUMBERS

To find the drain ,best way is to do below procedure ,SINCE IF IT IS THE 33 FUSE ,IT COULD BE EITHER OF THE SYSTEM IT CONTROLS

Battery Drainage Test

1- Voltmeter
2- settings on voltmeter will be on milli amps.
3- go across all the fuses in the car and see which one is reading higher than 0.3 to 0.5 milli amps
4- the fuse drawing more than 0.5 miili amps ,will be the suspected circuit that needs inspection for the drainage.

YOU ARE WELCOME

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Apreciatted

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation.

Please kindly rate Me ,A 5 Star Rating is Much Appreciated.

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,

You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert

that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please Keep in Mind that when You Rate Me , it Does Not End Our Conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

I 'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till LATE PM Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

but we need to check all fuses regardless to know what is causing the drain ,it could dvd or not or dvd and something else ,like entertainment module, body module etc

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the fuse 3 is out and the dvd/tv is still working so I know there is another fuse I can not locate which one it is

read the pdf file i sent you , there is is not another one that i can see other than #3 fuse 20 amp goes to dvd

now the system is connected to several modules including gem modules, radio ,power antenna etc..

testing across all fuses is needed if you looking for a drain

most cases for drain on those is gem or radio , but each case is different , or it will be a guess and u end up throwing parts at it ,with a simple voltmeter u can go across fuses and see which one is drawing ,