Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

2010 Ford focus ses stalls intermittently during low idle

Customer Question

2010 Ford focus ses stalls intermittently during low idle and while decelerating such as slowing to turn or stop. No warning lights come on, no sputtering or choking or hesitating. Absolutely no warning when it happens. Just cuts off. It cranks right up again but will stall again. Sometimes stall is right away , sometimes you can drive a little while without it happening. When it stalls , a thumping can be heard from the rear by the tank which I assume to be the pump still trying to work after it stalls while the key is still turned to start position. No humming or gas smells. Car seems perfectly normal , just stalls at low idle and when slowing down.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: It stalls in park, nuetral and drive if it is idling low or slowing down. I had to drive to the store last night by keeping my foot on accelator and when stopping for a stop sign or turning put car in nuetral to coast while keeping gas pedal depressed , then putting back in drive to go again. When in park if u can manage to tell it's going to cut off , pressing gas pedal will stop it.
JA: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Depends on what's wrong with. I can't drop a gas tank to change the "lifetime" fuel filter or replace a fuel pump located in the tank, but I can change a hose or unscrew a simple sensor
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

My suggestion is to try a throttle body and MAF sensor cleaning as a first approach to addressing this. After doing this lets reset the computer by removing both battery cables, hold them together for one minute then 30 minutes later reconnect them to the battery and road test.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Checked the MAF sensor, it's clean. Even if it's unplugged , car still stalls but will idle idle iradictly and the mechanic wrench in corner will light up. Plug the MAF back in and idle is smooth again but still stalls. Took to have a code reader hook up, no codes sensed. Will try throttle body cleaning tomorrow. The stalling happens less the longer it's been running.

Thanks for the update

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What would be next option after throttle body cleaning. I'll do it tomorrow but I doubt that is the problem. The car doesn't idle rough or badly.

Clean the MAF and throttle body reset the PCM. Next would be checking for spark plug, injector, or fuel pressure issues.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok got a wrench and a CEL tonight. Took to AutoZone. Codes P0320 & P061C are read. Guy says the crankshaft position sensor is probably failing and needs to be replaced. I can't find where the crankshaft position sensor is to replace it. I found the camshaft sensor on top easily but cannot locate the crankshaft position sensor. Does the AutoZone guys advice sound correct? And should I replace the crankshaft position sensor? Will it fix the stalling?

A faulty reading CKP sensor can cause these codes and it can cause stalling. We would need to do much more diagnostics while monitoring the sensors reading to confirm the sensor or wiring is to blame or fine. The sensor is at the 9 o'clock position to the crank pulley when looking at it from the passenger front wheel.