John Vieira
John Vieira, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician 32 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
78680981

I have a 2004 Ford Ranger with a 3.0L engine 8th VIN#U. I

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Ford Ranger with a 3.0L engine 8th VIN#U. I switched the engine in the truck with a 2001 ford Taurus FFV 3.0L engine and truck will not run. What can I do to get the truck to run? Do I need to change sensors?
JA: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Ford Ranger. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?
Customer: Not to my knowledge. thank you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

Hello, it wont crank over or it cranks but wont start? Why did you use a front wheel drive engine in place of the corect rear wheel drive engine?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did my research online and I was told the Taurus 3.0L engine was the same as the ford ranger. Intake and exhaust manifold is different but all sensors plugged in the same and had no issues their. Truck does turn over, get fuel, fire, and compression. Sounds to me the firing order is off but the wires are not crossed and on both ranger and Taurus, the firing order is the same.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

Ok so it does crank, does the red theft lamp flash fast when the key is turned to on? What failed with the last engine that it required to be replaced?It sounds like it hiccups or turns over too fast when cranking? The used engine is a known good engine?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Engine came out a running and driving ford Taurus. Security system is not my issue. Last engine blew a head gasket, but required a complete rebuild due to overheating way too bad. So cheap alternative was to buy a whole car that ran instead of an engine. It does back fire every once in a while. But I believe it floods out after a while.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

Do you have access to a scan tooll to check for any diagnostic trouble codes? Not a problem with the exhaust having a clogged catalytic convertor from the failed head gasket? if yo give it an exhaust leak will it run? Its got injector pulse?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did put a noid light on the injector plug and it does have a pulse. You have a point on the converter but old engine ran before I pulled it. It was missing in multiple cylinders but ran and drove. I do have a Snap-On Brick and a code reader, both of which did not find any stored or pending codes.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was told the Flex Gas engine has a 23psi injector and the Gas motor has a 14psi injector. Flex Gas also has (as I was told) a sensor to correct the timing for the type of fuel the car is using. I'm not sure how that would effect the motor running on regular fuel. Information on the difference between a FWD 3.0L valcun and a RWD may help a lot. Also the difference in the Flex 3.0L motor and the regular gas motor. Maybe some sensors and/or fuel pump/fuel lines need replacement.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, not everything you see online is true.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

Ok the sounding like it is out of time is a concern. From what I undersatnd of the differences is the lower intake manfold must be swapped. the camshaft is a different spec but interchangable. Flex fuel vehicles do have different flow values. The also use a flex fuel system to correct for regular/flex fuel use as you mentioned. Double check the ignition wiring, the coil runs 123, 465 on the coil. It should run as long as the compression is good and the timing is correct. If you are hanging flex fuel on a non flex fuel the pcm needs to be used with it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Lower intake has been swapped for use on the ranger. What do you mean camshaft is a different spec? If you mean cam chaft is different, that means push rods would be a different size correct? The ignition is as you stated, 123, 465. The PCM for the Taurus may be different due to it being a car. May I need one out of a flex gas Ranger? Or would they interchange?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Long story short, what needs to be done for the truck to run? I have lower intake off the old motor and all other sensors fit on wiring harness as they should, plugged in with zero problems.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

They wont plug and play with the PATS security system. The lobes on the cam are slightly different. A compression test will tell if you have issues with base engine timing.But as you said this motor ran. People always run into issues when trying stuff like this. I will opt out and see if another expert can be of more assistance on this.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay, do that for me. I appreciate your assistance and patience.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

Did you use the fuel rail and injectors from the Taurus?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no, I used the rails and injectors off the ford ranger.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 months ago.

Ok, thats all I had, sorry. Definitely can't use FF injectors with non flex pcm, won't run.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 months ago.

I will opt out for now and do a little research. If I come up with something I will jump back in.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
okay, for the record its a 2004 Ford Ranger Vin#U and the motor is a 2001 Ford Taurus Vin#1 so if I can find out the differences in both motors, I may be able to find what I need to swap for engine to run. Thanks.
Expert:  John Vieira replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with this issue today.