Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Overdrive light keeps flashing, light flashes, 2003 f150, it

Customer Question

overdrive light keeps flashing
JA: Does the light flash or stay on steady? Do you happen to have the trouble code?
Customer: light flashes
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2003 f150
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: it just started, planning to unhook battery to see if it will reset
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This light flashing indicates that the computer has detected a fault with one of the transmission components.It flashes to alert to you that a fault is present.

What has to be done from here is to have a fully compatible scan tool plugged into your model to read out any fault codes set.Once this is done any codes set are then diagnosed to locate and repair this issue here.

This can be an electrical solenoid in the transmission at fault or a relay or switch at fault.It can also indicate a valve body fault or even an in more in depth mechanical fault.

Unfortunately the only way to find out for sure what needs to be repaired or replaced is to have the codes checked, then diagnosed and repaired.Most shops can read out and diagnose the fault as well as do the repair for a fee.A local parts store like Auto Zone will sometimes read out the fault codes at no charge to you but cannot diagnose the fault,but they can give you an idea of what is at fault.

If you have no shifting issues or operational issues with this light then the fault may be a minor sensor needing replaced.

In some cases disconnecting the battery will turn off the light but in others the fault codes have to be cleared out with a fully compatible scan tool to turn off this light.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?