Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Loud "knocking" sound from engine within 2 minutes of start

Customer Question

Loud "knocking" sound from engine within 2 minutes of start up, pulled over and parked it; started it again - same result; later tried to start a 3d time, engine died. "water in fuel' warning light came on a couple of months earlier - not for first time -- igored it, thinking it was bad sensor. Fuel filter is ok. Replaced fuel pump 30,000 mi ago, replaced water pump 7 months ago. Any ideas?
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Engine, sounded closer to driver's side... but hard to tell. Paulette, 1997 Ford F250 diesel super duty
JA: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: My capabilities are pretty limited, nearly exhausted. Drained "water in fuel", changed fuel filter. Many years ago when similar knocking sound happened, it was bad fuel. Now, however, I have not put fuel in for a long time, at least 40 miles, 4 days.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, thank you!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

While running are there any power issues noticed or exhaust smoke concerns?

While running or applying throttle is a misfire noticed?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no power issues or exhaust smoke; no misfiring
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I cannot afford to pay another $26; I think I've already paid that amount.

I recommend taking a fuel sample from an open line out of the fuel filter housing to inspect it for gasoline or water in the fuel. Next I recommend a power balance test to see if one cylinder is to blame for this or do a test where you disable injectors one by one.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris