Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I need to replace the carpet in my 2008 ford fusion. Also my

Customer Question
dash pad is separating around...
I need to replace the carpet in my 2008 ford fusion. Also my dash pad is separating around the air bag lid.
JA: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Ford Fusion. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?
Customer: 150000 miles runs great but check engine light is going on and off mostly on.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
7/26/2017
Ford Mechanic: FordMasterTech, Ford Technician replied 3 months ago
FordMasterTech
FordMasterTech, Ford Technician

hello my name is***** am a master certified ase and ford technician what can i assist you with today

if you are just looking to replace the carpet in your fusion you are going to have to remove the center console, and the seats and some of the interior trim that is in the way. first thing you will want to do is to disable the airbag system

Depowering Procedure

WARNING: Always wear eye protection when servicing a vehicle. Failure to follow this instruction may result in serious personal injury.

WARNING: Never probe the electrical connectors on air bag, Safety Canopy® or side air curtain modules. Failure to follow this instruction may result in the accidental deployment of these modules, which increases the risk of serious personal injury or death.

WARNING: To reduce the risk of accidental deployment, do not use any memory saver devices. Failure to follow this instruction may result in serious personal injury or death.

NOTE: The air bag warning indicator illuminates when the correct Restraints Control Module (RCM) fuse is removed and the ignition switch is ON.

NOTE: The Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) must be fully operational and free of faults before releasing the vehicle to the customer.

1. Turn all vehicle accessories OFF.
  1. Turn the ignition switch to OFF.
  1. At the Smart Junction Box (SJB) , located below the LH side of the instrument panel, remove the cover and the RCM fuse 25 (7.5A) from the SJB . For additional information, refer to the Wiring Diagram Manual.
  1. Turn the ignition ON and visually monitor the air bag indicator for at least 30 seconds. The air bag warning indicator will remain lit continuously (no flashing) if the correct RCM fuse has been removed. If the air bag warning indicator does not remain lit continuously, remove the correct RCM fuse before proceeding.
  1. Turn the ignition switch to OFF.
  1. WARNING: Always deplete the backup power supply before repairing or installing any new front or side air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) component and before servicing, removing, installing, adjusting or striking components near the front or side impact sensors or the restraints control module (RCM). Nearby components include doors, instrument panel, console, door latches, strikers, seats and hood latches.

Refer to the Description and Operation portion of Section 501-20B for location of the RCM and impact sensor(s).

To deplete the backup power supply energy, disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least 1 minute. Be sure to disconnect auxiliary batteries and power supplies (if equipped).

Failure to follow these instructions may result in serious personal injury or death in the event of an accidental deployment.

Disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least one minute. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01.

before you disconnect the battery you will want to position the seats (if they are power seats) in the correct position to be able to remove the bolts from underneath

next step i would remove the seats.

NOTE: Passenger seat shown, driver seat similar.

NOTE: The seat track-to-floor bolts must be tightened in the sequence described in this procedure.

ItemPart NumberDescription

1621A44Safety belt retractor belt anchor bolt cover (part of 62184) (passenger only)

2W505274Safety belt retractor belt anchor bolt (passenger only)

3—Safety belt retractor belt anchor (part of 611B08) (passenger only)

4—Seat-to-floor bolt cover (4 required)

5W707858Seat-to-floor bolt (4 required)

6—Electrical connectors (part of 14A698)

7—Front seat assembly

Removal

NOTE: The air bag warning lamp illuminates when the correct restraints control module (RCM) fuse is removed and the ignition switch is ON.

NOTE: The supplemental restraint system (SRS) must be fully operational and free of faults before releasing the vehicle to the customer.

Seats without fold-flat backrest

1. Remove the head restraint.
    1. Using an appropriate tool, push in the hole while lifting up and release the head restraint from the head restraint guide.
    1. Push in on the head restraint guide release tab and remove the head restraint.

Seats with fold-flat backrest

1. Fold the seat backrest down to the fold-flat position.

Passenger seat

1. Remove the safety belt retractor belt anchor bolt cover from the cushion side shield to access the safety belt anchor bolt.
    • If equipped with power seats, position the passenger seat track downward to access the safety belt retractor anchor bolt.
  1. Remove the bolt and separate the safety belt anchor from the seat.

All seats

1. Position the seat to gain access to all 4 seat-to-floor bolts.
    • If equipped with power seats, fully raise the seat to aid seat service.
  1. Depower the SRS. For additional information, refer to Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) Depowering and Repowering in the General Procedures portion of Section 501-20B

.
  1. Remove the 4 seat track-to-floor bolt covers and bolts.
  1. Lift the seat to disengage to 2 locator pins from the floor and tip the seat to access the electrical connectors.
  1. WARNING: Use care when handling the front passenger seat and track assembly. Dropping the assembly, placing excessive weight on or sitting on a front passenger seat that is not secured in the vehicle may result in damaged seat components. Failure to follow these instructions may result in incorrect operation of the occupant classification system (OCS) and increases the risk of serious personal injury or death in a crash.

Disconnect the seat harness electrical connectors and remove the seat.
    • If equipped, slide and disengage the side air bag module electrical connector locking clip, release the tab and disconnect the side air bag module electrical connector.
    • NOTICE: Use care when disconnecting the seat harness electrical connector. Excessive force on the assurance lever can break the connector mounting.

Disconnect the seat harness electrical connector.
      • Release the locking tab and rotate the assurance lever fully to disengage the seat harness electrical connector.
      • Slightly tip the connector away and disconnect.

then i would remove the floor console

NOTE: Fusion, Milan shown, MKZ similar.

ItemPart NumberDescription

1061A16Selector lever trim ring

2045A76Floor console finish panel

3—Floor console utility tray

4672A40Floor console bolt cover (2 required)

5W711401Floor console bolt (2 required)

6W709955Floor console center bolts (2 required)

7045A36Floor console

8W711401Floor console rear bolt (2 required)

Removal and Installation

All vehicles

1. Position the front seats forward and remove the 2 floor console rear bolts.
  1. Position the front seats rearward.
  1. If equipped, pull the parking brake handle upward.

Fusion, Milan

1. If equipped with an automatic transmission, remove the selector lever trim ring.

All vehicles

1. If equipped with a manual transmission, remove the gearshift knob.
  1. Open the storage compartment door.
  1. Remove the floor console finish panel.
    • Disconnect the electrical connectors.

Fusion, Milan

1. Remove the utility tray.
    • Disconnect the electrical connector.
    • Disconnect the audio jack connector.
  1. Remove the 2 floor console bolt covers.
  1. Remove the 2 floor console bolts.

MKZ only

1. Remove the LH and RH floor console trim panels.
  1. Remove the 2 floor console-to-instrument panel bolts (one each side).

All vehicles

1. Remove the 4 floor console bolts and remove the floor console.
  1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

After that its pretty much see what else is hindering the removal of the carpet mostly just trim pieces that snap in place if anything else is in your way and you need instructions to remove let me know and ill see if i can pull up the procedure.

if there is anything else you need please let me know

FordMasterTech
FordMasterTech
FordMasterTech, Ford Technician