Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2008 Ford E250 check engine light for misfire cylinder

Customer Question

2008 Ford E250 check engine light for misfire cylinder number 4. Pulled the spark plug and it was badly corroded. Changed all spark plugs with Motorcraft original equipment plugs and still has misfire cylinder 4. how to test further to track down the misfire? Thanks in advance
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have also swapped coils and the Miss stayed at cylinder 4.
Expert:  Mechanic01 replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required.

Pull coil again and test with inline spark gap checker, you want to see atleast 1 inch jump, nice strong spark, did you use dielectric grease in coil boots when reinstalling?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I used Dielectric grease. Again I will have to check that tomorrow thanks again.

hows it coming?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The truck should be back from the field around 5. Ill report in asap

no worries ill be around take your time

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Shawn, okay I got one of those adjustable spark testers, and I am not getting any Spark. There was one flash but I have started it four times and let it run about 10 seconds each time.

you have the individual coils on that one right?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay I swapped a coil and the next coil I used we have a yellow Spark, pretty decent and consistent pretty much points to the coil here
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Funny because I swap them out before and the misfire stayed on number four. Or try a new coil tomorrow and report back ASAP

Working on vehicles is fun isnt it lol, good luck and ill talk to you tomorrow !

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for your time!

Anytime for a good customer like you !