Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I am looking at running a 12v pos power wire to the bed for

Customer Question

Hi there. I am looking at running a 12v pos power wire to the bed for my 2010 F150 Super Crew.
I have found the three customer accessible wires capped in the engine compartment next to the radiator overflow and already used the green one for the chmsl on my new truck cap.
My understanding is that the yellow-with-green-stripe capped wire was a 12v source but I cannot get any power on it and it does not have continuity to ground. Is it fused somewhere?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** this have the towing package installed?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yup!
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 months ago.

the easiest place to get 12 volt power is at the 7 pin trailer connector, on the orange wire, this a 30 amp circuit and can handle all the power you will need, and it will save you having to run a wire all the way to the back,Tm

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have already tied in to the yellow/green stripe wire in the engine compartment and run it to the rear when I pulled the wire for the stop lamp on the cap. I don't want to cut into the trailer wiring for power because we have such terrible corrosion from the road salt
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just can't figure why there isn't power to it... Not sure what fuse it is. There was black (neg), green (aux stop lamp), and yellow with green stripe all capped under the hood.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 months ago.

i AM NOT SHOWING THAT WIRE IN MY DIAGRAMS, i SEE THE BLACK AND THE GREEN?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Weird. Some people say they have an orange one instead of yellow/green.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 months ago.

I dont know if that is even a power wire, or if its a key on source? I would still tap into the orange wire at the trailer plug, then cover it with a skrink tube, this would make the connection waterproof and it wont corrode,Tim

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay. That isn't quite the solution I was hoping for.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry, but I cannot find this wire in the diagrams, it not in any of the power distribution diagrams, so I dont this it is a power source wire,Tim

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thank you anyways.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 months ago.

Anytime my friend,Tim

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

I see you opted the other tech out. Would you like me to help. I will be online a couple more minutes then back online later.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
please, if you have any input or suggestions other than splicing into a wiring harness. I can just run straight to the battery if that is the case.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Still there?

I too am having trouble locating this color aire and where it goes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Oh ok. Perhaps it has another function then. I understand there is a PTO high-idle accessory wire there too so maybe that is it. Thank you though.