Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years experience on all makes and models, Licensed NYS Inspector.
2921078

Running rough and no power. P0191 code, Consistant, 2006

Customer Question

Running rough and no power. P0191 code
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: Consistant
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2006 Ford Explorer 4.6L Eddie Bauer
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Changed the fuel rail sensor
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

I would start with checking the fuel pressure. Sometimes you will get a code for the fuel rail pressure sensor when the fuel pressure is low. This is going to cause rough running and misfires. Especially under load, but with low fuel pressure it would be consistent. On the 4.6 you usually have to tie into the fuel line where it comes to the rail due to the lack of a shrader valve for testing. Start there and also check for intake manifold leaks. Again though with the fuel rail sensor code, it's more then likely low fuel pressure causing the problem.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have no way to test the pressure at the rail
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 months ago.

Well you would have to maybe rent or borrow a fuel pressure tester. Harbor Freight actually sells them fairly cheap or you could possibly pay a shop to check the pressure. Without the proper tools it's going to be difficult to properly diagnose the truck. Since you don't have any misfire codes, that indicates the coils and plugs aren't the issue. As for testing for intake leaks, with the engine running spray some carb cleaner along the intake manifold and vacuum lines. If the idle speed picks up or smooths out, that indicates a leak.