Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I am looking for instructions to replace the water pump 2005

ford explorer 4.0L engine v6...
I am looking for instructions to replace the water pump 2005 ford explorer 4.0L engine v6 how to remove and the torque specs for each bolt , thanks!
7/25/2017
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Joseph,

Give me a moment and Ill put these steps together for you.

Okay I have enclosed the water pump steps as well as the cooling fan and drive belt. Have look and see if this is what your needing. Post back if you have more questions and or just need more help.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Water%20pump%20Jul%2025.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/cooling%20fan%20Jul%2025.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Drive%20blet%20Jul%2025.pdf

I put the water pump and its metal gasket from ford is that right ? i didn't put any sealent is it ok ?

You need to put sealant on it or its going to leak.

Just a nice then spread on both side of the gasket to assure a good seal.

sealant on the metal gasket ?
what kind of sealent ? there is permatex

Yes , its usually a good idea to avoid any leaks. If you have already installed is and you got the surface cleaned properly then go ahead and try it and see if it seals. If it dose then your good but if it dose not then you are going to have to remove it and add some sealer. The best type of sealant is called right stuff. See the link below.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/the-right-stuff-gasket-maker-7.5-oz-85224/10154936-p?gclid=CjwKCAjw2NvLBRAjEiwAF98GMUP_8dIp30RvUstbuiaBIN_J12C4SNClDD_7r_19hFeteRYswJ8KvhoCno0QAvD_BwE

I sand the surface a bit with sandpaper around it but I didn't put sealent I thought metal is ok should I remove it

Yes if it was me I sure would. Its not likely going to seal. Remove it and place a thin spread on both sides of the gasket to avoid any leaks.

ok thanks your the professional I will put a thin layer on both side then thanks

Your very welcome and thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
I put prematex right stuff on both side of the gasket but the diagram I am wondering whats the footpound torque It said 10nm whats the footpound ?
its black silicone in the tube written on it right stuff

If you look at step 8 you will see the water pump bolts are torqued to 89 inch lbs.

I torqued them at 7.5 foot pound I looked online 10 Nm= 7.4 foot pound I don't have inchpound torque you think that's ok ? Looks like not leaking i drove it too I hope it's right torque thanks

That should be fine and if you have no leaks then your good to go.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician