Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2004 f-350 with po299 ...so I have now changed the

Customer Question

I have a 2004 f-350 with po299 ...so I have now changed the turbo intercooler hoses etc. etc. and it still keeps coming up also blows turbo tub off to intercooler and now huffing small amounts of black smoke and is acting up
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you been losing oil or coolant?
Customer: 175000 and no oil loss or coolant
JA: What year is your Turbo?
Customer: it has about 8 hrs on it
JA: Are you fixing your Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I bought a new one and replaced old and sensor
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I took it to ford paid 300 bucks and I replaced all parts they said they would , new intercooler , new fuel injection control mod, new back pressure sensor new turbo , new radiator etc
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: ok
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

hello

if the MAP sensor on the inlet manifold is faulty or there's a leak on the intake post turbo both of these can produce an overboost scenario and blow hoses off and upset the fuelling

I'd first check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues
Also have a feel around with your bare hands with the engine running to see if you can feel any escaping gas under your touch. Another method is to use a soap and water solution sprayed onto any suspect areas - if there's a leak it'll bubble up with the engine running

Also check that the vacuum hose running to the dump /or turbo bypass valve is intact with no leaks checking that its opening and its not stuck