Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

Ford Expedition 2004 4 x 4 A clicking noise as the hub and

Customer Question

Ford Expedition 2004 4 x 4
A clicking noise as the hub and rotor is rotated
It is not a ratcheting type noise it is a click about four times per rotation
The hub was replaced but not the diaphragm
So does the vacuum applied engage the 4 x 4 gears or does
no vacuum applied engage the 4 x 4 gears.
However not sure what the noise is when it is going down the road.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

Vacuum is used to keep the hubs disengaged. With no vacuum present the hubs should be fully locked to the axle. If you are spinning the wheel with the engine off and there is clicking noise and the axle is not moving, then the teeth on the integrated wheel end (IWE) are not releasing to engage the teeth on the hub. Usually the noise going down the road is caused by a vacuum loss to the IWE's from either a failed IWE vacuum solenoid (least common) or a broken or rubbed through vacuum line between the IWE solenoid and IWE. Most common problems occur around the strut mount bracket and control arm brackets where the line rub through and leak.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is no vibration, just a rubbing noise that gets worse when I turn to the right. When I rotate the rotor the axle does rotate
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 3 months ago.

I don't remember saying anything about vibration? Do the axles move on each side when you move each wheel and are they locked solid - if you move either axle it should be solidly locked to each wheel on both sides.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 3 months ago.

If both axles are locked tight, and fully release with the engine running then I would suspect a failed hub bearing.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No I was telling you what happens when you drive it. I don't know about the other side, when we replaced the hub
on the drivers side that Axel was engaged and did turn with the rotor. However when rotating by hand it had some play and
would click like the CV was bad. I am trying to decide if the joint is bad or the 4 x 4 is not disengaging when driving
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 3 months ago.

Usually the 4x4 not disengaging while driving will result in a ratcheting buzz type noise that will slowdown as you come to a stop. Usually if it is being caused by the hubs not disengaging, shifting to 4x4 will cause the noise to stop. Also a hub not disengaging on one side can noise on the other side.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,
Just checking in to see if you need further assistance. If you are satisfied with your answer, please respond with "I am satisfied with your answer" or "your answer helped". I will then forward that response to the site admin so my feedback can be updated.
Thanks!
Kenny Z