Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Freeway driving - can drive 100 miles and all good then all

Customer Question

freeway driving - can drive 100 miles and all good then all of a sudden temp gauge starts rising, stop truck check underhood and truck not overheating. turn truck back on and temp is normal again. 2001 ford f150 4.6. radiator has been flushed, thermostat changed, temp control sensor changed, radiator hoses chenged. Can't seem to figure it out
JA: Have you checked the connectors on the sensor itself? It's important that they not be loose or corroded.
Customer: i have and all looks good
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I changed thermostat myself, all other fixes have been done by professionals
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, i think that's pretty much it
Category: Ford
Expert:  TECHPRO49 replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required.

Could be a interment thermostat, these replacements lately have been junk, I would verfiy systems with a digital temp gun and look for fluctuations in temp

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've replaced the thermostat twice, does not overheat and temp gauge does not go up in city driving. only starts going up after an hour or so of highway driving

Check your main coolant hoses going into and out of the radiator. ... The water pump has enough of a draw on the fluids it can collapse the weak hose, causing a lack of fluid flow through the engine, and thus overheating. As soon as the engine speed decreases, the hose goes to normal and cooling resumes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hoses are brand new, had them changed a couple of weeks ago.

When you bled the system how did you do that?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
System was bled by radiator professionals when I took it in to get my radiator cleaned and flushed
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
System was bled one week ago

I would check that again just to be sure, They have a funnel system you can get, this is the one I use and it 100% sure to get any air out, I would order that and leave it on over night to ensure all air is gone

http://www.tooltopia.com/lisle-24680.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=paid_search_google_pla&adpos=1o2&scid=scplpLIS24680&sc_intid=LIS24680&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5Jip8ICj1QIVyUoNCh3OXg7MEAQYAiABEgIEDPD_BwE

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
As stated previously. The truck does not overheat. Gauge simply starts going up after an hour or two of driving at highway speeds. I stop and check truck and does not show signs of overheating. I turn the truck off and then restart after a minute or so and the temp drops back to normal.

Ill opt out and see if any other techs know anything

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

Would you like me to help?