AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Let me talk to the mechanic please, its about my 93 crown

Customer Question

let me talk to the mechanic please
JA: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to discuss this further with you. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?
Customer: its about my 93 crown Victoria speedomoter
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 months ago.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you any way I can.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 months ago.

Can you tell me whats going on with your Crown Vic?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
not getting 10 volts to the vss sensor
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for that information.

May I start by getting your VIN?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
2facp73w9px134234
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for the VIN!

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 months ago.

One moment while I pull up your vehicle

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
speedometer and odometer does not work, ive replaced the vss sensor, and im not getting the 10 volts to my vss sensor
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 months ago.

The vehicle speed sensor produces an AC signal. It does not receive voltage because it generates it own voltage.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
what color wire behind the enstrument cluster should I meter with the vehicle in drive and over 3 mph to get my 1.3-6.1 volts ac and the resistants is greater than 5 ohms on grey/black and pink/orange at the vss connecter
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 months ago.

It is a gray wire with black stripe.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
what ohms should I be getting if I messure across the vss sensor because im just getting open
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 months ago.

Between 30 and 90 ohms.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 months ago.

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
its open
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 months ago.

It sounds like you have a faulty sensor.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ive replaced the sensor and I went to the store and tested new ones and they all came out, opened
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 months ago.

I dont think your testing it correctly.

Also, the wires going to and or from the sensor could be open causing this condition.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When I messure the resistance from the gray/black wire to ground it is 229 ohms. the pink/orange wire to ground is 50.8 ohms and the resistance between the gray/black and the pink/orange is 279 ohms. I am not getting any AC voltage from the gray/black wire when the vehicle is in gear and running over 3mph.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 months ago.
You have to put both leads on both wires coming from the sensor when checking for an AC signal.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it is giving me ac voltage in drive it increases the ac voltage when the rear speed increases but its not 30-90 ac volts
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 months ago.

AC voltage is different than ohms