Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Automotive Instructor at Palm Beach State College
93113249

I've got a 2015 gt with an obd code p1289 it comes up before

Customer Question

I've got a 2015 gt with an obd code p1289 it comes up before the car is even started
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: headlights yes, battery yes
JA: Are you fixing your GT yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Actually, I just installed the Roush stage 2 supercharger on it, and when I fired it up for the first time, it threw that code
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: it is also throwing a p0315 code sluggish to start, has to crank for a while
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jaybird61 replied 3 months ago.

Hi, My name is Jay

Is your vehicle the 5.0 Mustang GT? If so the first code Po1289 is for the cylinder head temperature sensor. Check to make sure it is connected and not damaged? The second code is for the computer has not learned the camshaft timing pulse wheel. This can be due to damaged sensor or damaged cranks shaft sensor or if you put in a PCM program change it can cause it.

Check to make sure camshaft and crank sensors was not damaged and go from there. You may need to have a factory scanner hooked up to relearn camshaft sensor wheel spacing.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can you tell me where the cylinder head temp sensor is located so I can try to track down a possible problem? I did not unplug or replug any on this supercharger install, but did have to move the factory wiring harness around some.

It is on the back side of the passenger side head. Hear is a diagram showing location item 12.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!ArGz65GfcqjYohUM-DG1En1OOzmr

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help, you can hold off on the rating for now and reply back here -- I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you"

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will check to make sure the clips and wiring were not damaged on temp sender and the cam and crank sensors and then get back to you.

Ok. Since the computer was reprogrammed it may just need the cam relearn procedure done.