Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Automotive Instructor at Palm Beach State College
93113249

Have no run condition on in tank fuel pumps(both of them)

Customer Question

have no run condition on in tank fuel pumps(both of them) 1986 f 150 302
JA: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?
Customer: I don't know, just got the truck, orginal owner died and not much is known about it
JA: What is the model of your '86 Ford?
Customer: f150
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: well not much, I have determined that the high pressure pump is working, (I can feel it) have removed the cup from the bottom of the switching valve and there was no filter in it, going to get filter asap and install
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jaybird61 replied 3 months ago.

Hi, My name is Jay

Do not get a filter to put in cup. The newer models this is the way they came. There is an inline filter near big pump that is the one to replace. Do you hear either pump in tanks run when selected and key is cycled on and off?

The big main pump will also cycle on and off when key is cycled.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no neither of the intake pumps will pump, and I cannot hear them run. I can see no other filter in line between the selector switch and the high pressure pump. is it possible the filter is elsewhere? I have removed the Green fuel pump switch, it looks to be original as it is still green and has Ford on it. is there an easy way to jump this device and see if the pumps will run?

Check up above the main pump on the frame for the filter. It will be an FG800 or FG 900 fuel filter. It may be behind a steel plate to protect it.

Have you checked to see if the fuel inertia switch is tripped in the right kick panel or near firewall on passenger floor?

If you do not have an inline filter besides the canister then you have an early model system and will need to put in a paper filter.

Expert:  Jaybird61 replied 2 months ago.

"I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help, you can hold off on the rating for now and reply back here -- I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you"