HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

My 2008 Ford Edge has an issue last week where when I was

Customer Question

My 2008 Ford Edge has an issue last week where when I was idle the car overheated and I saw white smoke come out the right side of the hood. I called firestone they told me I had to wait a week to be seen. I drove my car all week with no issues (I didn't turn on the ac at all). The day comes first one says there's nothing wrong with my car and all they could see was I needed a cap replaced on the radiator. That day everything was fine. Next day on my way to work car over heats, check engine light comes on and my car stops completely. I can't drive the car without it over heating. I took it back and they are saying something about the fans or the computer that controls the fans. Help me. I feel like they did something and are trying to cover it up. Also could I get a rough estimate on how much this will cost.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

Hello, the question is where the white smoke came from. There are known issues with the engine cooling fans. If the fans arent working properly it can overheat especially when the ac is on. This engine uses a timing chain driven water pump, the coolant when it leaks out leaks out behind the altenator. So if its low on coolant and has over 60k miles,this is when we start to see issues with the water pump. So if they say there are no coolant leaks then I would concentrate on the cooling fan issue and have that replaced first. It will usually set a diagnostic trouble code P0408 cooling fan motor circuit fault.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The white smoke only happened once. It came from the right side of the hood. Once I turned the car off the smoke dissapered and I didn't have that issue again.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

Very good, just make sure there is no cooling system leak, if there is a leak, that needs to be addressed, otherwise replacing the cooling fan motor if its indicating a fault is what needs to be done next

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Do you have an idea of what this is going to cost me?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

In the neighborhood of 600- 700 bucks depending on the mark up of the cooling fan and labor rate of the shop you are using.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

If you need more help or information please let me know. If I was helpful, please leave a positive rating.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is there a possiblitg that there is another issue?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

If it has a code for the cooling fan, that is a problem, if there is no cooling system leaks the only other possible issue would be if the thermostat was stuck closed.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

Do you need more help with this concern?

Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

Hello?