HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

Depress the gas pedal to the floor and the Engine Failsafe

Customer Question

depress the gas pedal to the floor and the Engine Failsafe Mode message comes on. It does with the engine off and the key in the run position and also with a hard acceleration when driving.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Runs great. No codes. Replaced the TPS Cleaned the MAP
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2004 Mountaineer 4.6
JA: Are you fixing your Mountaineer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Replaced the TPS and cleaned the MAP sensor
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 3 months ago.

Hello, if the truck is going into a fail safe mode it will set a diagnostic trouble code. Some Ford trouble codes are proprietary, meaning they can only be read by a dealer style or very high end scan tool. If you are using a generic code reader, it may not be able to read the trouble codes stored. If you can get it scanned by a dealer or shop with a good scan tool, it should tell you more. Once you know why it is going into fail safe you will have a better idea of what area to test or inspect.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It doesn't effect the way the truck runs. It can be turned off by using the reset button or restarting the engine.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Telling me to take my truck to a dealer is not a $5.00 or $25.00 answer. If that's all you can offer then cancel the charge to my credit card. Not useful information what so ever.