Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

It seems like the drain line from sunroof is clogged. when

Customer Question
it rains i get 2...
it seems like the drain line from sunroof is clogged. when it rains i get 2 inches of water in the passenger front floorboard
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2014 explorer
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: took it to mechanic who said it would cost a lot of money to take apart all of the inside panels and find the drain lines looking for a hack to try myself
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
7/22/2017
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

our sun roof, two on the rear right and left side and two on the front right and left side. One thing you can try with out removing all the panels is to take some shop air at each one where they connect at the top of the sun roof frame and try blowing through them . Are you able to try this if I provide you with there locations?

we have an air compressor. but i am clueless about cars. you'll have to point me to the right place to try it out
no live call. i am going to wait to get my son or husband (who are much taller than me) to help with this project
but i need a diagram to show where the tubes are located

Okay have a look at the enclosed diagram, the drains are located in positions 11 for the front drain noses and position 12 is for the rear drain. Try applying some air in the ports in the frame and hopefully that will clear them for you.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/drain%20Jul%2022.pdf

how do i access the ports? can i just pull back the weather stripping or do i have to disassemble something

If you look down in each corner you should be able to see them.

corner of what? corners of the sunroof? With it open or closed? I'm sorry, I'm really short and am going to have to pull the ladder and climb up high to do this, so I want to make sure I know exactly where I'm looking

Yes in the corners of the frame and it will not matter if its closed. Look at the diagram I sent you and it will give you a good idea of there location.

ok - i'm going outside with the ladder to look. it will take me a few minutes

Okay, careful .

ok - i opened the sunroom. stood in the seat, and looked at the assembly. There are 2 different tube/line like things in the general vicinity of your diagram 11 parts. But your diagram is fuzzy, so I can't tell which one. Neither is really pointed down like the diagram. An neither looks "open" in a way that i could blow out. Any way you could send me a photo of what I'm seeking?

There is a drain in each corner front and rear and the diagram I sent you is the only one that Ford offers . If you have a small pointed blow gun it should clear them if there not restricted to bad . .

Ron, ASE Certified Technician