Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2000 Taurus 3.0 DOHC starred and ran good until engine got…

2000 Taurus 3.0 DOHC...

2000 Taurus 3.0 DOHC starred and ran good until engine got to operating temp. This is when it began to run rough and finally died. Now it will crank but not start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

I have fuel at the rail but don't know the pressure. Not sure about spark. Does this engine use an ignition module?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?

New plugs is all I have tried.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No mam

7/21/2017
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

When you turn the ignition key on look at the instrument cluster and see if the check engine light comes on and then crank the engine over and see if it goes out while cranking and let me know the results.

It comes on then goes out while cranking

Okay then that means the computer is powering up and should also indicate you have injector pulse. The next thing that your going to want to do is to install a fuel pressure gauge and read the actual key on fuel pressure. You need to see 35 yo 55 PSI. Lets check this and work from there. It would also be helpful if you can scan the system and see if there are any fault codes setting. Post back with the results and we can work from there.

I have zero fuel pressure

Okay are you hearing the fuel pump cycle when you cycle the key off and on?

No. I can't hear the pump

Okay I suspect you have a failing fuel pump and or an issue with the circuit to it, are you able to do some testing if I post the steps?

I can get a test light

Okay I have enclosed the test steps for you in the link below as well as the fuel pump circuit wiring diagram for testing reference. Run the steps and post back if you have more questions and or need more help and we can work from there.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Fuel%20pump%20testing%20Jul%2021.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Pump%20wiring%20Jul%2021.pdf

Thank You

Your very welcome and thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician