Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Replaced water pump. After reinstallation and reconnecting

Customer Question
the battery and coolent. went...
Replaced water pump. After reinstallation and reconnecting the battery and coolent. went to start car and all electrical components are working but starter will not engage and shifter is stuck in park and there is NO circle around any of the gear designations?
I did unplug the big plug below the thermostat to get to the hoses on the thermostat water pump connection but it snapped right back in place no problem during reinstallation?? Battery was disconnected for 3 days?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
7/17/2017
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 4 months ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you any way I can.

Are you sure you have connected all connections or connectors back into place properly?

Have you checked and verify all fuses are good?

Have not verified fuses an doing that now - Could a fuse blow while battery disconnected??

Based on my experience, no. But something else could have happened while you were working on the vehicle that you are not aware of.

It sounds like the shift linkage could be out of adjustment, a wiring issue to and or from the transmission range switch or even a faulty switch causing this condition.

I would verify the fuses are good, wiring to and from the sensor check out and check the linkage to the transmission.

If all checks out good, replace the transmission range switch.

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN