Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 2005 ford freestyle with the CVT transmission.

Customer Question
After an issue of having...
I have a 2005 ford freestyle with the CVT transmission. After an issue of having a few gear teeth break off internally due to the pump being a quart and a half low on transmission fluid. A short test drive ended with the feeling of constant applied pressure to the calipers slowing to a complete stop with no forward or reverse. System test showed ok on transmission and traction control, but the traction control light is on and the message center reads "AWD system data error" no abs codes shown
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
7/16/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 4 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

Which caliper is eating up the brake pads?

Will your scan tool allow you to monitor the wheel speed sensors while driving?

The caliper is not the problem. While yes it needs to be replaced it is not seized. The car will not go forward or reverse as of now. The traction control icon is on in the dash yet system checks on the instrument panel say transmission and traction control r ok. Directly after traction control test a message flashes on saying AWD system data error. No one codes no abs codes or no drivetrain codes being displayed. I have read rumors of this implying that the pressure switch in rear differential needs to b replaced. What does ur experience tell u
Are u offline at this time or just researching and working on my returned response?
Well I don't know how long it usually takes to complete conversations being discussed or how long the $48 that u charged to my account is valid for and open to discuss the issue is but as of right now our discussion isn't worth the $5 deposit much less the $48 of disappointment that I have received so far sorry.
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 4 months ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, you had a few teeth break off inside the cvt transmission for the pump? What kind of scan tool are you using? It reads no codes for any system it can check? But the transmission wont move in any gear range? Its full of fluid now? How many miles are on this trans? Has the pan been dropped and low pressure filter inspected? Has the high pressure filter ever been replaced?

Ok. To give u the whole run down as quickly as I can ill start with I bought it used, 2 years old with 30000 miles on it and 100000 mile warranty. During that time I could hear a ticking that always fluctuated with the room and had it looked at 4 different times under warranty that always ended with nothing wrong with it and they never came across the noise I discribed and that the transmission fluid is sealed and didn't need maintained. I knew something was wrong with it and already researched it myself because of it. Knowing the outcome of most cvts I knew that what happened to mine wasn't the typical outcome. When taking off from a start a sudden loud clunk rang out as the car shuddered a time or 2 but then continued to drive. It happened a few different times yet i was able to still drive it out to my personal garage to have a look at it. At that time I checked its fluid which was a quart and half low, dropped the pan , cleaned the metal chunks from the pan, replaced the low pressure filter and added fresh fluid to see if it helped any before I was gonna spend money on replacing the trans. I haven't replaced the high pressure filter yet but was on my list u of things to do. At that time took it for a spin around the block and as I slowed down to turn around I noticed that it took a little more effort to take off again and I could feel it in my feet like the the vibration or grinding feels of the brakes dragging. I
Made it to my garage door before it finally quit moving. I used a scan tool capable of reading OBD2, ABS, and drivetrain codes but no codes came up. The trans will shift into any gear and will only start n park and neutral but when in gear it won't move. The fluid is full and it has about 150k miles on it. When researching the message it displays (AWD system data error) i keep hearing that it's a common issue and that it is the pressure relief sensor in the DEC on the rear differential that needs to be replaced. Any truth to this?
Ok there is a technical bulletin for code P1889 to replace the oil pressure/temp sensor in the dem.buf if you pulled chunks of metal out of the trans pan this cvt trans is junk at this point. It shouldn't make noise or shutter on take off. I can't share the tan via mobile right now but will upload it later today when I'm off work in about 8 hours from now. The dem issue won't cause no movement or feel like the trans is goin into gear. Also not all scan tools can pull all diagnostic trouble codes. Changing the high pressure filter wont make this any better. You are looking at a high dollar trans replacement
Ok,well it doesn't make any noise or shutter when I take off like it was every time I took off like I may have made it sound. I only did it initially when it first happened. I drove it more than 100 miles or so after the initial clunk which i believe would have been the teeth breaking off from the tranaxle pump not having enough fluid to engage the gear properly being it was a quart and a half low on fluid. Nor did it ever clunck again after cleaning out the pan and replacing the filter and test driving it. I have already prepared myself for the purchace of a new transmission but after it slowing gradually to a stop like it did and not showing any codes by reader or by internal system check build in the car (which I know doesn't say much) it still does pick up some kind of AWD malfunction in the test and it not being the transmission or traction control. And further research points to a different issue other than transmission. While I guarantee you are more qualified than I am and am not questioning ur expertise n any way I am just trying to give as much info and options that it could be because i have had transmission issues several times in my life and the way this acted it just isn't typical of any kind of symptoms that I have ever heard of or dealt with and am trying to explore all my option or discuss issues that may not come to mind right away as we discuss this issue and primarily to not buy a new transmission and it still not move forward or backward afterwards. With it showing AWD malfunction didn't know if maybe it was put in a safety mode of some sort which regulates the vehicle to crawl and somehow is just still n a full lock out mode or if maybe it all had to b reset or programmed or updated with software in the computer system as they do require and have had to have done before with other vehicles. Any more thoughts?
No problem. I'll post the tsb for the dem sensor later but it only applies if it is Set To g the P1889 code I mentioned. What you have to keep I mind is that this cvt trans is way different in how it works as compared to other transmissions. Instead of clutch packs it uses a chain and two variator pulled to move the vehicle. The only shift you feel is torque convertor lockup and nothing else. It's never good to find pieces of anything in the pan. It could have come from anywhere and cause a loss of fluid pressure for the variator that adjust to the chain inside and cause movement. If you can get your hands on another scan tool to check for transmission codes you will most likely come up with codes like P09xx. Multiple other codes which denote major failure. Only thing you can do to verify pump operation is to check the trans fluid level on the dipstick with the engine off. When off it should read high and when running if the pump is working the fluid level will drop lower on the stick.
Regardless it still sounds like a cvt trans failure but all modules need to be checked for codes. It should still try and movs
Move

Here is the TSB I mentioned earlier. Do you need more help or information for this concern?

If you need more help or information please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating, so I get credit for helping you.

Ok well it isn't the CVT transmission at all as I suspected. It is the oil pressure sensor in the DEM as I suggested aand was also low on the volvo transmission oil in the rear differential that had the coupler locked and didn't allow movement. My traction light is now off and the AWD system data error message is no longer on the message center. Thank u for giving me the input that u did even though it didn't pertain to my issue. While I know that the CVT is nothing like other transmissions I also know that it was only made for 3 years before ford scraped the whole thing because it was junk and in that time ford techs didn't see them enough to learn the knowledge and themselves caused transmission failures due to their ignorance of the CVT. Nothing personal towards u just stating facts on the information and the whole reason why everything was ignored when I had it checked and mentioned 4 different times while under warranty. Thanks again for ur time and I will not hold ur rating against u but being that the only info I was given was the info that I brought to the table and had to push to have it looked into. That being said , I paid $48 for an answer that I gave myself and need the info on having my bank card reimbursed for the amount I paid. Only thing on the site shows if I'm not happy is to request a new pro tech. I need the link for money back guarntee

Very good , any refund are to be addressed by***@******.*** and should also be links in the contact emails you got from the website. I have never heard of a temperature sensor causing the differential to lock up, it should still rotate so hopefully it will continue to operate.

I believe it if it wasn't getting the proper signal the dem wasnt either and wasn't allowing the AWD to work properly. I'm guessing then would go into some lind of safe mode to keep from damaging things. I'm not really sure and ive never been a fan of all the new computer ran and regulated ideas of the newer vehicles these days. Too many possibilities and too many headaches all because of voltage signals from all these different sensors and switches. Great for the auto industry but not for the rest of us. I'm just glad to see it now move and me with an extra 2 or 3k in my pocket that I prepared myself for a transmission. If only I could have kept that in my honey money pocket without the wife wondering where it went to since I didn't need a new CVT! Lol!!! Thank u again

HAHAHAHA! I hear ya, hey thats your story, just stick to it!

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans