Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

1996 mustang Gt. Dash lights, interior lights, litghtly

Customer Question
surge when car is running...
1996 mustang Gt. Dash lights, interior lights, litghtly surge when car is running. New batter, alternator is only 2-3 years old- was a rebuild.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: Fues all see to be fine, all bulbs working order.
JA: Are you fixing your Mustang GT yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would like to, i try the connections under dash to make sure nothing was lose, grounds that i found seem to be good. My volt meter can dance around with a sound system at times- even with a faurd cap installed. Surging happens with audio off
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have done a motor swap and interor was take out to paint and replace carpet. Everything work. But i have blowen the wiper control module twice when i turn wipes on. I have some extra 2"guages tied into the headlight switch. All lights have this surging affect
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
7/15/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

When the engine is running it depends on the charging system for all of it's needs which includes the alternator, so first make sure the alternator belt is tight, then if so, have the alternator and charging system tested for free at just about any auto-parts store, rev the engine up to about 2,000 rpm and the voltmeter should rear over 14 volts when hooked up to the battery. If it is low and the belt is tight, the alternator is most likely the culprit.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.
If you don't, the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.

The alternate has tested out to be good and the belt is in very good tight working condition.

Who tested the alternator and what was the voltage output with the engine reved up to 2,000 rpm and the ac on, high beam headlights on, basically trying to duplicate when you have the problem.

Did it put out at least 14 volts with a load on it and reved slightly?

If not, then it's not enough.

If it's ok, then you might want to move the voltmeter to the next connection going toward whatever circuit is causing the problem and the voltage should be the same as it was at the battery. If the same, move it to the next connection and just keep going until you find out where it is fluctuating then from that spot back to where it just tested good is the bad spot so inspect for a, loose connection, broken copper wire strands within the wire, etc.

Mike S.
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician