Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

I have a 2001 Expedition with 238.000 miles and it has had

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Expedition with 238.000 miles and it has had the compression checked multiple times by my mechanic and it is still on the top end.Issue is when the AC is on I live in Phoenix it has no power at all it can barely get out of its own way and the warmer it gets outside the worse it gets even the ford dealership doesn't know why but if you turn the AC off or it is not that hot it does just fine any help will be greatly appreciated as it is very hard to even pull my toy hauler to go 65 on relatively flat and slight grade it is rapping out at 4000 rpm's with overdrive off thank you Marty Anthony
JA: Have you checked the Freon level?
Customer: the ac is fine it's the truck has no power
JA: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no my mechanic and we have tried even putting a different computer in it and still no power with AC on and it's hot outside.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not really
Category: Ford
Expert:  david craig replied 3 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. Has any one done a back pressure test?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
my mechanic did I believe.

for the engine to lose that much power just because of the the ac being on is the sign of a tired engine. do you ever get a flashing checking engine light? If you are not sure a back pressure test was done, you need to find out, even a partially clogged cat will run decent under no load but when you load up, its going to struggle.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He did a back pressure so you just believe it's tired and when it is under load your right it has no power at right now

theres really no other explaination, especially if thee compression on ALL cylinders are at least 150 or above and theres not a difference of more than 15% from the highest reading and the lowest

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Compression is good

has anyone removed the serpentine belt and spun all of the pulleys by hand to see if any are binding up?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
there not

no flashing check engine light under load?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Nope not at and passes emission with flying colors every time

Im clueless. I shall bow out and allow someone else to chime in. good luck.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you I might just get a new remaned from engines direct just want to exhaust all option before that
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 3 months ago.

When was the last time the spark plugs or fuel filter were replaced?

Please also note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 5 stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have.

CLICK HERE for rating system example.

Please read this:

Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.

1. I am an independent FACTORY DEALER auto mechanic and do not work for Just Answer.

2. When you're pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say "I'm satisfied".

3. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Eric

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
last year

It is possible that the internals of the ac compressor are getting hard to turn, and the hotter it is the harder time it has. has a new compressor been installed yet?

CLICK HERE for rating system example.

Please read this:

Thanks for using Just Answer, Eric

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
two years ago and this is not a new problem it has been going on for a few years now.

Has anything been tried or replaced to fix this? Besides the computer and backpressure test?

CLICK HERE for rating system example.

Please read this:

Thanks for using Just Answer, Eric

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Nothing replaced really I and my mechanic and ford are at a loss

Ok. I will opt out since it sounds like this is going to need a hands on approach to try and figure this one out. Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

I never see where you mention what engine this is.

Anyhow, I was starting to agree somewhat with Eric about the ac compressor but I would go one step further if at all possible and I was thinking of getting in on an engine dyno and measure the engine horsepower with the ac off and on and see how much horsepower that ac compressor is actually using and try somehow to either find a spec or compare to a similar vehicle.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's a 5.4 Triton can't dyno all wheel drive 2001 Expedition 4x4
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

I don't know but I suppose they could always remove the front driveshaft. I am not that up on awd just yet but I was trying to find a horsepower spec anyhow for that compressor and this is about the best I could do, but no horsepower spec. I did read it should be the ford fs-10

http://www.truckerac.com/foacco6dslfs.html

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

There have got to be dynos for awd.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

I have never used one though.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I can't find one here in Phoenix just want to exhaust all electrical or other wise before purchasing a new engine I like the truck and everything else works perfect
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

Well, if you are going to install a new engine and place that ac compressor on it, you may still have the same problem so if I was you I would go ahead and replace that ac compressor again now and see if the problem goes away.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Lot cheaper I will try that first
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

good luck

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

You are welcome.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.
If you don't, the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.