Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 2003 excursion. The a/c comes out the defrost vent

Customer Question
when the control says face...
I have a 2003 excursion. The a/c comes out the defrost vent when the control says face panel. If i switch it off and wait for a little bit then turn it back to auto, then the air comes out the face panel. If i make any switch after that it just goes back to defrost. It will not turn back to any other setting regardless of which setting you choose. Any ideas?
JA: How long has this been an issue? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: It has been this way for about a year. It has 95,000. We do not drive it that often and are looking at selling it.
JA: Are you fixing your Excursion yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tracked down several of the vacuum lines. The seems to have vacuum. I looked at the lines on the auto lock outs. That is good. I have looked at the lines in the dash. They seem good. I can hear an actuator kind of making a chattering noise when some switching does occur. It is located under the dash near the gas pedal.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that is it.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
7/15/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 6 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

This is a concern with the vacuum system. Most likely a leak. I need to know which engine you have to help you diagnose this.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

Chris,
The engine is a v-10 (6.8L).Thanks,
Kevin

Step one is to remove the climate control from the dash and use a vacuum gauge to monitor the vacuum on the black hose. While driving this should not dip below 8 in hg of vacuum form the engine intake and vacuum reservoir. Can you monitor that?

I will give that a try. I appreciate the help. I will have to get a vacuum gauge. It will be a day or two before I get to it.

No problem, we have until the 21st till this post times out from no rating.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician