Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

My 2008 ford Taurus limited just had a transmission put in.

Customer Question
while driving it made a...
my 2008 ford Taurus limited just had a transmission put in. while driving it made a hard shift and the wrench light came on. i got off the highway and noticed i wasn't accelerating. i turned the car off and called the repair shop, but when i started the car back up it was perfectly fine and then it did it again while heading to the repair shop. I need HELP because now the repair shop is saying it's fine and I'm seeing this as a major problem
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: the wrench ūüĒß light on the left hand side of the dashboard
JA: Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm not it's in the shop
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: my speedometer does not work either
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
7/14/2017
Ford Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 4 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, my name is Jay

The problem sounds like the transmission output speed sensor is not working correctly and will cause the speedometer to not work and the transmission to not shift and go into failure mode. If the light came on then there should be codes stored in the computer for the mechanic to check and pinpoint the problem. The sensor or wires may have been damaged when installing the transmission.

"I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help, you can hold off on the rating for now and reply back here -- I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you"

What about the ECM or the PCM now my dashboard goes out while driving

What does not work on the dash? If just not getting speed then the transmission may have a defective speed sensor. This would cause the transmission to not go to overdrive and the speed to not work correctly. They may have damaged wiring to sensor or damaged sensor when installing.

The whole dashboard goes blank and my radio,cd player is not working and I hear a crackling sound coming from the dash I'm heading back there now

This is a more serious problem that will need checked since there may be an electrical connection that is shorting the system out. I have not ran into this exact issue and it should be addressed in case it is wires shorting in dash and may be a fire hazard. This may be entire issue with dash assembly since Ford has have many car lines with electrical issues on connections to dash.

Jaybird61
Jaybird61