Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Automotive Instructor at Palm Beach State College
93113249

Replacing a c4 withFMX in a 7 thunderbird. the FMX is 1980.

Customer Question

replacing a c4 withFMX in a 7 thunderbird. the FMX is 1980. can i use my C4 torque converter and flex plate?
JA: Do you have the torque specs?
Customer: no. Just a standard application behind a 302
JA: What year is your Thunderbird?
Customer: 77. The FMX is 1980
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: if the flex plate is the same, is the starter also the same?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jaybird61 replied 3 months ago.

Hi, My name is Jay

You may be able to use the flex plate but not the torque converter.

I am aware of the difference on the C6 flexplate behind the 351CJ but I sure don't see a difference between the C6 and the C4 Flexplate, But I do see the the depth of the surface on the FMX sits closer to the engine than the C6 and the C4 Flexplates that I have.
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/731481/fullsize/flexplate--4.jpg
The Silver Flexplate is from the C4 behind the 351C on my 1973 Ranchero 500, the one to the right of it is the flexplate from the C6 behind the 351C in my 1973 Cougar Convertible. The two flexplates on the lower step are both from FMX transmissions from behind 351C on a '7- and '71 Cougar. I also noticed that the FMX flexplate uses a spacer around the mounting bolts while nither the C4 or C6 flexplates used a spacer.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help, you can hold off on the rating for now and reply back here -- I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you"