Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Second opinion] I found the fuel inertia switch. It is

Customer Question

Second opinion] I found the fuel inertia switch. It is mounted in the cargo area on the passenger side. I did not find a button to reset it. Can you instruct me on what to do?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

What is it your working on ? Need the year , make and model as well as engine size .

Please explain what type of problem you are having.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Working on 1993 Ford Escort LX wagon. Cranking but won't start. New battery, 3/4 tank of gasoline. Looking at the fuel inertia switch?I found the it mounted in the cargo area on the passenger side. I did not find a button to reset it. Can you instruct me on what to do
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Prefer typing. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What I found was the switch. There in a recessed area at the top. What is my next move to check it out?
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

The button will be right on the top of it and if it needs to be reset all you need to do is press it till it clicks. If its not tripped it will not click?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I found a recession at the top. Not a button. Is this to be expected?
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

The button is down inside the recession, if the switch is tripped it will be popped up.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am not sure of whether or not there is a button. Inside the recession feels ridge and flat.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I meant that it feels rigid and flat.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Okay if your not seeing it then its not likely tripped. Do you have a 12 volt test light to check the power in and out of it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not sure that I have 12 volt test light to check the power. I will come back when I do have it in hand. Do you mean check the power in and out of the inertia switch?
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Yes at the connector on the bottom of it check for 12 volts on both wire in the connector while cranking the engine over.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok. I am done for now. Thank you.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Check this and let me know the results and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Will do. Thanks.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Let me know and we can get this resolved for you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok. Goodbye for today.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Sure thing.