Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have a 2001 F150 supercrew. Sometimes it will start and

Customer Question

I have a 2001 F150 supercrew. Sometimes it will start and die right away. If I wait 20 minutes, it will start and run no problem. Also, I don't know if this is related but I've been on the freeway and seen all the gauges max out at once then fall back to zero then go back to normal display. I brought the truck to my mechanic but nothing came up when they plugged it in. Any help is much appreciated.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes and yes
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've only tried to diagnose it. I've read online about the IAC valve?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It's got 142,000 mostly hard city miles
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

If you start it and hold a little throttle can you prevent this stall from occurring?

If you crank it with throttle applied will it start without the 20 minute wait?

This start issue is that when the engine is cold or hot?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, no, both
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I do not want to call.

For the gauge issue, that is going to be a instrument cluster beginning to fail, the cluster is losing power or ground or a charging system issue. I recommend you cut the cord on an old cell phone charger and wire it to a digital volt ohm meter attached to your dash with some tape. When the cluster messes up make sure the power outlet is showing 13-15 volts. If it is then the charging system is not over or under charging and to blame.

For the start issue, when it will not start, that is when we need to to the diag. We need to find out what is missing, fuel or spark. I recommend doing a fuel pressure test first before testing for injector pulse and ignition spark. In the event all are good during this crank no start then I would look into a leaking injector, one or more that is flooding the engine and preventing plug spark from occurring.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris