Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I need a transmission expert! So if your not a transmission

mechanic DON'T anser.I'm changing the...
I need a transmission expert! So if your not a transmission mechanic DON'T anser.I'm changing the transmission on my 2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4.0 Engine I already took the transmission out.I have both transmissions laying side by side.the one I pulled of the truck,and the one I bouth,used.I took the torq converders out.to put new seals in the transmission I bouth.Now,the torq converter in the tranny I bouth,don't go back in all the way.it seems the shaft/Rod that go's in the middle needs to go in like an other inch.in the old tranny,it go's in fine.also in the old tranny,i'm able to take the Rod/shaft out and put it back in.in the one I bouth,I can't take it out.are you suppose to be able to pull that Rod in and out?and yes,I'm wiggleing and turning the torq converter while trying to push it in.Can you help me?
7/10/2017
tims auto repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

yes,,the front shaft will pull out of the 5r55 transmission

My question was,about the middle shaft/Rod.are you suppose to be able to pull in and out this Rod that goe's into the torq converter?it's this rod that's keeping the torq converter from going in.in the old tranny,the Rod goe's in about 1 inch deeper.in the old tranny,I'm able to pull the Rod and put it right back.in the tranny I bouth I can pull the Rod out,or push it in any more.it needs to go in another inch.this tranny was running fine a week ago,when the other truck was wrecked.

yes,,the center shaft pulls out..

perhaps you have the shaft in backwards..

tims auto repair
hey Tim,I already rated you,5*****how ever,I have more questions.the shaft never been out of this tranny.so it can't be in backwards.I tried takeing it out,I can't.like I said before,only in the old tranny,I can easily pull the shaft out,and put back in.

they are both 5r55 transmissions,,correct?

are you using the converter that came with the transmission?

was the converter in that transmission to begin with??

transmission's are exactly the same.Yes I'm using the converter that came with this transmission.and,Yes.the converter was in the transmission.But,I Don't think your under standing me.the converter is NOT the problem.is the shaft.it's not in all the way.like in the old tranny.I tried boths converters in the old tranny,they go in just fine.

i do understand,,

that shaft will come out..i would think that when you pulled the converter,,the shaft followed it out a little..use a hammer and tapit easy to set it back in the transmission

thanks

tims auto repair
tims auto repair
tims auto repair, mechanic