Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I own a 1975 searay speedboat with a 351 windsor v8. I have…

Customer Question
Hi i own a...

Hi i own a 1975 searay speedboat with a 351 windsor v8.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Windsor?

I have done a complete tune up and it has a whistling sound from carb and setting the timijng wont stay locked at 10 degrees before top dead center!

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any change in your gas mileage lately?

Could be a factory windsor that says it is rated at 233 hp

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Windsor yourself? What have you tried so far?

I HA

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have a friend who is a retired millwright has finished tune up

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
The previous owner had a edelbrock intake for a holley four barrell installed and had it dynatuned.This marine engine has only had a two barrel carb ever on it from the factory
This is a marine designed and built v8.It has been in this speedboat since 1975.The heads were changed and top end rebuilt done.But the bottom end was taken apart and found to be in perfect condition.So the heads and intake replaced but not the camshaft or gear and timing sprockets.
The points,condenser and distributer cap were all replaced.The coil was replaced with a msd type coil.The leads were also all replaced.Even setting the timing and dwell according to specs does not allow the engine to idle at 550 rpm.As i said earlier the high and low air horn screws areone that is stiff to turn the other is easy to adjust.
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/30/2017
Ford Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

Hello there,

What carburetor do you have, including the list number?

Is the distributor tight when tightened down, or can you budge it by hand?

This whistling you hear is a vacuum leak.

Can you explain what screws on the carb you are talking about?

Gary

Hi Gary.I am heading to my local marina today to remove the starter.I will get carb numbers and provide them for you today.They are at the front of the carb and are side by side.The screw on the left is very stiff to adjust and the screw on the right is easy to turn.The distributer is tight.Tyrone
Ford Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago

Hi Tyrone,

I'll wait for your carburetor information.

If the distributor is tight, what do you mean it won't stay at 10 BTDC?

Gary

Hello again,

Do you need any further help?

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Kind regards

Gary

Gary
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician