Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Have 2007 6.8 super duty ..Keeps burning spark plugs ...Not…

Customer Question
Hi, Have 2007 6.8 super duty...
Have 2007 6.8 super duty ..Keeps burning spark plugs ...Not throwing any codes ...seems to be running soso ...fuel filter new ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/23/2017
Ford Mechanic: Fix It Man, Master Technician replied 1 year ago
Fix It Man
Fix It Man, Master Technician

Hello, my name is***** you tell me how many miles are on the vehicle and if the check engine light is coming on? What kind of spark plugs are you using and how long are they lasting?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Motor has about 200 k...no check engine light ...a couple of weeks ..OEM plugs ...seems like its running lean ...but injectors are working fine ...just keeps burning plugs up

Usually this does occur when an engine is running lean. Most of the time on this engine it is caused by a sensor that is reading incorrectly like an oxygen sensor or air flow sensor, or typically it is low fuel pressure. I would check the fuel pressure first and make sure it is good. It should be consistent at 55-65 psi. If it is then you would need a computer scan tool to read all of the sensor data to make sure they are reading correctly.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK....so if its not throwing a code ...just get readings and go from there ?if fuel pressure is good. Were would you go next ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Its not here its on the road so wouldn't do much good to make a call...I get though

A fuel system issue will not usually set a code unless it is serious. If the fuel pressure is good then you want to check the fuel trim readings. It they are negative then that means the computer is commanding it lean so from that point you would need to determine if there is a sensor not reading correctly.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK..so o2 sensors ?..any others that might be a problem?

It could be the O2 sensors, the air flow sensor or a vacuum leak. As long as the engine is idling fine then there shouldn't be a vacuum leak.