Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

89 mustang 85 10 95 came up r,r new fuel pump new relay have

Customer Question

89 mustang cod 85 10 95 came up r,r new fuel pump new relay have check for power at relay 1 hot key off, 2 hot key on, same stay hot checked ,out back power in power out bump switch
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: High milles car was put in side ran well did start once to check that it would ,did not run long
JA: Are you fixing your Mustang yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: In staled new rug after I started car
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

The code Code 85 is for the canister purge solenoid and this indacates a problem with the solenoid or the circuit to it and should not cause a not start concern. The code 10 is a separator code and normal to set during a scan. Code 95, in keep alive memory (KAM) of the self-test are related to the fuel pump circuit. The powertrain control module (PCM) monitors the output of the fuel pump relay when the relay is energized. For this code to be valid, the car would have to exhibit a symptom relative to low or dropping fuel pressure or an intermittent connection problem causing a momentary loss of voltage to the PCM from the relay. These service codes will not cause the PCM to turn on the malfunction indicator light. If no fuel pressure related symptoms are present, the circuit between the PCM and the fuel pump relay could cause the codes to set. It is also possible that simply hitting a bump hard enough to cause the points to bounce in the relay without creating a driveability concern can set these codes. What type of problem are you having?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Car will not start fuel pump comes on stops turn key to start wants to run . at first but shortly sounds like no fuel .pooled return line lots of fuel at key turn
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

The fuel pump relay should have key on power on the red/black wire as well as the orange light/blue wire. Do you have key on power there and if so are you getting key on engine cranking power out of the relay on the Pink/black wire?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
power too orange + , red black god12v + .pink/black has no power key on + cranking no power
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Okay the fuel pump relay is controlled by the ground switching signal from the PCM (computer) if you ground the tan/green wire at the relay with the key on will the pump run?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Okay the tan/green wire is the ground switching signal from the PCM and if the pump only runs with your supplied ground that in most cases mean you PCM has failed.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Best way to test pcm to prove it is at fault.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

There is no way to test it with out replacing it with a known good unit or removing is and sending it out to a repair facility that build PCMs.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you I am going to swap it out will get back to you I have no luck
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Okay Im here if needed. Let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
With the pcm bad on fuel pump dose this mean the fuel injection is out also if unknown can I test to fined out ,put 2 other pcms in not known if good plan to run koer on each
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

You can check for injector pulse with a standard 12 volt test light by placing the test end on the power side of the connector on any one of the injectors and the ground end on the other wire and crank the engine over. If you have pulse the light should flash.