HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

I thought the water pump blew it's seal but on I'm not so

Customer Question

I thought the water pump blew it's seal but on I'm not so sure cuz the coolant seams to be shooting out of the power steering pump
JA: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?
Customer: there's a little squeal when I rev the engine
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2002 Focus wagon with dual cams
JA: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet I'm still researching
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: is there a source of coolant in or near the power steering pump?
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

Hello, if you dont have one, hit up a local auto parts store to rent a cooling system pressure tester and adapter to pressure test the system. Its most likely the water pump in the front section of the engine. but pressurzing it will tell for sure. You can fill the engine with water to prevent the excess loss of coolant.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's definitely leaking coolant. I hobbled into a parking lot when I noticed it was overheating and a puddle of coolant formed under and around the car with in about a minute. The question is where is it coming from. It appeared to be shooting out of what I've come to find out is the power steering pump pulley. this pulley is on top and to the left if you'er facing the engine from the right side of the car.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

The power steering pump is on top of the engine, the water pump is located in the center of the engine. Its most likely the water pump pushing out the weep hole or a failed bearing. The attached photos identify the pullies and you can see the water pump is far from the power steering pump.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

Only other thing that could leak by the power steering is some bypass hoses across the top of the radiator or possibly a freeze plug in the cylinder head.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 month ago.

Do you need more help?