Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a new ecm for my 2002 ford mustang, and was wanting

Customer Question

I have a new ecm for my 2002 ford mustang, and was wanting to know if I could program the new key myself using the instructions here on this site.
JA: Is the key stripped or worn?
Customer: no
JA: Are you fixing your Mustang yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm doing it myself. I haven't tried any programming yet. I don't want to start and mess something up.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** yu have to have 1 working key to reprogram it, if you replace the ecm, none of the old keys will work, this will need to done with a scanner to reprogram the keys,Tim

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, I saw that if you replced your ecm with a salvaged one, you would have to get the previous key info erased. with my ecm being new and with no key info on it, I would still have to get a locksmith or the dealership to program the key to the ecm?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 months ago.

Yes, you cant reprogram one, if yu dont have at least one working key, so a locksmith is the cheapest route,Tim