Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

1997 f-150 bad clatter coming from the motor.changed oil

Customer Question
imediatly still clatters JA: When was...
1997 f-150 bad clatter coming from the motor.changed oil imediatly still clatters
JA: When was your last oil change?
Customer: right ajter I heard the noise
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I am trying to fiqure out where to go from here
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's fine I will go talk to the local mech.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Ford
6/16/2017
Ford Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 5 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

What engine do you have?

Do not run the motor very long before you have a mechanic check to see if the oil pump is pumping pressure through the engine. If you continue to try and run with the loud noise then you may damage engine bearings and shafts. When did you first notice the noise start?

started it the other day for alittle while. shut it down and changed the oil the oil pressure is good. I use napa gold filters and 5w-20 semi synthetic in it
No thanks I'll type even though I'm not fast

If you are showing good oil pressure then you may have issues with the camshaft and timing chain not getting enough oil or is worn. Does the noise sound like a thumping or a rattle noise or a ticking noise?

4.6 ltre no it ai a steady clatter louder as you rev the engine

This is going to be in the camshaft timing chain guides are worn out and chain is rattling inside engine. If you continue to run your camshaft may jump timing and bend valves. I recommend getting the timing chain and guides replaced. Of course have a qualified mechanic verify my diagnosis since i am not able to hear the problem. This is very common.

"I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help, you can hold off on the rating for now and reply back here -- I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you"

Thar's what I think it is also Thanks for your help.

You are welcome. One other problem these engines had was a camshaft oil passage filter clogged in head and will starve head and valves for oil. Either way the camshaft timing chain needs removed.

Do you have any other questions for me?

Jaybird61
Jaybird61