Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 88 mustang 5.0... I've done a complete over haul

Customer Question
Hello JA: Hello. What seems to...
Hello
JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: I have a 88 mustang 5.0... I've done a complete over haul with trick flow upper kit... when I turn my a/c on it dies at idol
JA: Are you fixing your Mustang yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Mostly myself but a few mechanic friends when available
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's about really
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
6/16/2017
Ford Mechanic: Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician

A couple of possibilities. I'm assuming that it all worked before the modifications. The idle air control valve allows extra air into the engine when a load such as the A/C is placed on the engine. If the idle air control system isn't functioning properly, either because it was removed, or the valve itself is faulty, or there is a wiring issue, the engine will stall when the AC is turned on.

I'm also assuming that if you are driving down the road, and you turn on the ac, that the engine carries on, and the AC works! This would rule out a seized AC compressor.

The engine computer also needs a signal to tell it to increase the idle speed. You have made no mention of computer or wiring modifications.

If the system worked before the engine modifications, then something happened during the installation.

Hope that helps. Send me a note if you need more information. Canuck.

How is your Mustang repair going?

It was the one of the only things I haven't replaced on the new setup.. it was original to the car when I bought it.. the car didn't have a compresser when I bought the car so I replaced everything when it. Ike's to the A/C except the idol control.. so I'll definitely pick up a new one to see if that fixes my issues..
I've run into another problem before I even know if that idle air control.. The car died after going down to zero RPMs after being at a high rpm coming to a stop sign and we cannot get the car to crank back up now... we have gone through so many scenarios trying to get the car to crank but with no luck.. we have power to the coil but no spark
Ford Mechanic: Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician replied 6 months ago

OK - so does the engine turn over by the starter, or it won't crank over at all?

Have you checked for spark?

After days of trouble shooting it turns out the distributor was bad even though it was only a few months old.. it cranked up immediately once we put the new distributor in... the IAC seemed to have fixed the A/C dying at idle but the car is still running flat in second and wants to die when the rpm drops going into neutral as you start to slow the car down to a stop before you down shift..!

Checked fuel pressure? Verified ignition timing with the new distributor? Cleaned the mass airflow sensor?

Fuel pressure is at 40.. times no is around 14
and checked the mass air flow.. this has been my main problem that we've been trying to fix before I ran into the situation that we first talked about..

14 psi fuel pressure?

i see - timing is at 14...

After looking at the wiring, I don't think this car has a mass airflow sensor... I'll check again...

I did a mass air conversation

OK. I'm assuming there was a computer change to go with the mass air conversion...

Correct.. A9L

Is there still a vacuum line going to the fuel pressure regulator?

There is

when you snap the throttle, does the fuel pressure go up?

I haven't noticed to be honest

The idea with the fuel pressure regulator is that as manifold pressure goes up (you are stepping on the throttle) the fuel pressure needs to go up as well. Should be about a 7 psi difference between closed throttle idle, and key on, engine off. Under what conditions did you measure 40 psi?

When we hooked up the fuel pressure gauge to the fuel line in was at 40

key on, engine off? Or engine running?

Off
Could this have anything to do with the mass air conversion and the VEhicle speed sensor

Alright. So we need to verify if the regulator is working. If you can get a number with the key on, engine off, and then a number at idle, that is a good start. The system also needs to be able to hold pressure, which if it doesn't can be an indicator of other fuel system issues. Typically, an engine going "flat" indicated a fuel delivery issue - going lean for some reason -

Do you have a functional vehicle speed sensor?

I put a adjustable fuel regulator in a 225 per hour liter fuel pump
I'm just hearing about the VSS sensor today from a friend.. so I'm not very familiar with it

OK. So we still need to verify the fuel regulator is changing the fuel pressure as the throttle is opened. VSS is an input to the computer.

Ok would it be better when I'm arounf the car
Oh ok.. the sensor that's goes into the transmission?

You have many variables in this car. Could it be the mass air conversion? Possibly. But check out fuel pressure first. I would like to see about 45 psi key on, engine not running, it holding pressure, and then down to about 38 psi at idle. Let me check on the vss wiring...

Let me know when you want to do a phone call

I don't know that the vss would give you the symptoms you have described. I see on the diagram that this car did come with a mass airflow stock.

I have a 1988 model which was still the speed density year... 1989 and up is when they became mass air

OK, so it has a different computer, and that was part of the mass air conversion? Is it a larger mass airflow sensor? I'm also wondering about the computer and its compatibility. I want to have some answers before we chat, because at that point... you are committed with cash! LOL

Ok. I'm looking at a 1988 diagram, and its got a MAF, but all good.

I put it the mass air conversion offered by LMR
Which required a 89 or newer ECM.. which I did all of that.. I hand 30# ***** which my mass air meter is calibrated for

Let's verify that fuel pressure... so long as the processor has a program for those injectors, it should work out. As part of the conversion, did the MAP disappear?

I've gotta take off for awhile, but I can check in later if that is OK...

Yeah no problem.. will you be available during the day when I can be at the car?

Yes, to a certain extent. You can do the fuel check and get back to me tomorrow. No problem.

Will do
Thank you for your help

Happy to help. I'll check back in periodically today.

Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician