Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ok I have a similar question about an 2001 f150 i replaced

all of the timing accessories...
Ok I have a similar question about an 2001 f150 i replaced all of the timing accessories i had an bad sound coming from the right calve cover. It was the guides so like i mentioned i decided to replace them all from cam sprockets tensioners chains and crank sprocket. So the chain jumped on me and I'm sure I lost position on both cam chains. So I tried lining my marks back up it all was good I thought now I'm getting a knocking seems like things aren't firing in order correct of course. So I think I didn't put my cyclinder 1 and 5 on compression stroke!? How do at TDC where exactly does the cams need to be set far as right after intake when both valves are shut or before power? Thanks a ton
6/16/2017
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I'm here to help 365 days a year, but not every hour of the day. I try to prevent delays as much as possible. Please understand I am not there and can only advise based on what you tell me. Let's get started.

Does this file cover each concern you asked about? https://www.dropbox.com/s/rxfjym8m0bl0lot/46romeo.pdf?dl=0

Please make sure to rate my answer prior to logging off, as this is how I get credit for helping you. If you have not yet received 5 star excellent service from me. Please follow up so you get everything from me that you expected from the deposit you have already paid, which I get nothing of till you rate me. Rating does not close the post nor prevent replying at a later date.

Thanks Moose

Ok I already had a ford manual so I do understand how to align my timing marks. So let me re phrase some how after I had replaced the chains they both had jumped out of place. So I decided to start from scratch i didnt know exactly how much they jumped or direction so i assumed to go around a complete rotation and made sure my sprockets on both cams were at 90 degrees keyway and made sure my markings on the cam sprockets where 11 and 12 o clock. Crank sprocket key way at 11 ensuring mark at 6 o clock. I think I may be 180 degrees out on both cams. My issue is understanding where the cyclinder 1 and 5 cam lobes position should be. Because in a compression stroke both valves should be shut no camshaft lobe on a spring. Now within this step (compression) where is TDC achieved? Should cyclinder 1 passenger cam and cyclinder 5 driver side cam be in the same compression stroke position? I need to ensure everything is in sync I would absolutely hate to remove all the crap from the engine a third time.

The special tool is needed to lock the engine at TDC. You can get it close without the tool then use a straw or dowel rod in the #1 plug hole turning the crank back and forth to get it just right.

Firing order1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8

So you should see #1 at no valves pressed, #3 intake valve has just closed

Ok now what about driver side cam do I reference to #5 cyclinder and what position should my valves Be?

That is so far down the firing order, it would be impossible for me to determine where those valves would be. #8 is getting ready to be on TDC so no valves pressed.

thanks for your help chris. Now you are saying that at TDC #1 and #8 cyclinders valves should be shut meaning where going into compression? So when my crank is at TDC and my chains are off setting my right camshaft timing I can reference from #1 ensuring the cam intake is closing first then both intake and exhaust are shut =Cylinder 1 TDC and I can do the same for left camshaft on cyclinder#8. I will use cam holders as well to lock them in place.

Correct 1 no valves pressed and 8 no valves pressed since it is about to be at TDC compression.

Ok sounds great and all of my timing marks should line up in the correct positions based off positioning cyclinder #1 and cylinder #8 as you specified?

They should.

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. If not please reply so we can resolve your issue together.

Thanks Chris

Tomorrow I'm going to have the timing cover off. I will follow back up with you tomorrow.

Thanks, ***** ***** is set to time out and close on the 22nd

Well we have a tropical storm coming through houston tommorow so rain through the weekend according to forecast. Any who if I give you the rating now will I still be able to refer back to this subject free of charge?

All follow ups on the same concern after rating are allowed. <ost replies I address are from customers whom have already rated me.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
SuperDave
SuperDave, auto technician
Phone call session started

Based on the timing marks it does show to be out of time.

This is a driver side also included crank sprocket photo appears a bit slanted but it's at 6 O'clock. I also included a photo of #8 cam lobes. The cam lobes closes to the radiator are the intake I think and the cam lobes close to the fire wall are the exhaust because I need to be sure I'm coming off intake to compression?
20170622_133207.jpg2017062...jpg20170622_133243.jpg2017062...jpg20170622_133323.jpg2017062...jpg20170622_133503.jpg2017062...jpg

If you follow the timing marks and get it at TDC 1 you can get it all set right.

Chris ok how are these timing marks and also pictures of #1 and #8 thank you!
20170624_185645.jpg2017062...jpg20170624_185701.jpg2017062...jpg20170624_185721.jpg2017062...jpg20170624_185907.jpg2017062...jpg20170624_185934.jpg2017062...jpg

Looks good to me.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician