Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Looking for some ideas on what is causing the power windows

Customer Question

looking for some ideas on what is causing the power windows in my 96 Explorer to go down when the vehicle is placed in reverse or drive. I have done a quick search of the forum and have not come across this issue. The windows operate fine when the engine is off, or when the engine is running, and the vehicle is in park, but as soon as the vehicle is put in gear(automatic) the driver side window will inch its way down a little at a time. Even if I power the window back to the up position, the window will go back down on its own. This even occurs while driving down the road. Now here's where it gets even weirder. The wipers will at times also start working on their own, and the wiper control does not override the haywire wipers. I have a fully charged battery, and have installed a new wiper and window relay. This obviously did not solve the issue.
Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 69k miles. Cars starts fine.
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Fixing it myself. Installed new wiper and window relays.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's all the info i have right now.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I'm here to help 365 days a year, but not every hour of the day. I try to prevent delays as much as possible. Please understand I am not there and can only advise based on what you tell me. Let's get started.

Has anyone done any wiring repairs or modifications on this vehicle or added anything aftermarket electronic?