EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

It clicks when trying to start. The battery was tested and

Customer Question

it clicks when trying to start. The battery was tested and fully charged and I replaced the stater solenoid, the vehicle started fine for 2 days and now it's back clicking again and won't start.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: It sounds like the click is coming from the 2 relay's next to the solenoid. I used my voltmeter and I have voltage on both sides of the upper and lower relay I even crossed the terminals on the solenoid and only got clicking. Problem started 2 days ago.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 1997 expedition 4.6 V-8
JA: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes and I just told you in my previous comments.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 4 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** have been a dealer tech for 20 years. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

A lot of times on the expedition the battery cables near the battery get corroded and cause a lack of full power going down to the starter. I have seen this with the ground cable and the positive. And not just the terminal has corrosion on it,but it works its way into the cable and the cable needs to be cut back some and a new end put on it. That is likely what you have here. But FIRST, I would apply my own power and ground to starter with a jumper back from under the vehicle and see if the starter will spin if you bypass the vehicle wiring. You could just have a faulty starter as well, but that will eliminate that.

Please also note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 5 stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have.

CLICK HERE for rating system example.

Please read this:

Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.

1. I am an independent FACTORY DEALER auto mechanic and do not work for Just Answer.

2. When you're pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say "I'm satisfied".

3. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Eric

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've replaced the battery cables, cleaned the battery terminals, replaced the started solenoid(and the car stated fine for several starts and then went back to clicking), I tested voltage at the solenoid and the relays and had power. I had the battery tested and charged to 100%. I have not run power directly to the starter and bypass the vehicle wiring.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No I don't want to call you.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just forget it I'll figure it out mysef without having to pay all these fees to get an answer.

you dont have to call. That is a website ad.

CLICK HERE for rating system example.

Please read this:

Thanks for using Just Answer, Eric

I suggest you bypass the wiring to make sure the starter is even good. If that is bad there is no reason trying anything else. You can have a poor connection at the start or the trigger wire from the solenoid to the starter.

CLICK HERE for rating system example.

Please read this:

Thanks for using Just Answer, Eric