A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

I have 2002 ford f150 I installed a steering wheel airbag

Customer Question

I have 2002 ford f150 I installed a steering wheel airbag (that had gone off from minor front end accident) also the battery. when I connect cables horn starts blasting? temporally I have disconnected it but when I connect cable I see very minor spark like something is "On" ?
JA: How has the car been driving lately?
Customer: not really but was driven 35 miles to get to my place?
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no for my sister who wants to leave on long trip Wednesday.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not really
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 4 months ago.

Remove the airbag from the steering wheel and inspect the wiring behind it. Make sure it is not pinched between the airbag mounting bolts and the steering wheel. Then rest the air bag back on the steering wheel in place and leave the 2 bolts out. Then reconnect the battery and check for the horn going off. Also, if the air bag was installed crooked, the horn will sound. The contacts are on the back of the airbag.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
am I understand you correctly; disconnect batt cable, take out airbag's 2 bolts & inspect 2 wires connections then reconnect batt cables. and Horn Should Go Off???

Let me restate that.

Disconnect the battery.

Then unbolt the airbag and inspect the wiring to it.

Then, set it back into place but do not bolt it up.

Then reconnect the battery and see if the horn still goes off when the battery is connected.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok get back to you in 25 min (10:30 California time) I will get back to you either way thank you very much Mr. A

problem. I'll be on line till 10 pm tonight Florida time.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No having any luck its when I connect the red wire connect on left side (smaller of the 2 connecters) I have only 1 horn connected to save my ears but??????I even put the old airbag back on no luck is there a reset that needs to be done?

No resets. there is a short in the steering column harness either in the clock spring or the harness that runs up the steering column to the clock spring and the switches. Below is wiring connector C218b. It is a 6 pin connector at the base of the steering column under the dash. Unplug it and see if the horn still sounds when the air bag is connected.