Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2011 f150 cranks won't start. Replaced fuel pump still have

Customer Question
problem JA: Have you checked the...
2011 f150 cranks won't start. Replaced fuel pump still have problem
JA: Have you checked the engine's fuel supply? And the spark plugs -- are they all working?
Customer: Fuel good. All new plugs at 100,000 miles. 117,000 now
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: New fuel pump. Yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: 3.7 motor
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Ford
6/11/2017
Ford Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 5 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. when you turn the key on can you hear the fuel pump running for a few seconds.

No but I've never noticed that noise.

can you have someone put their ear to the fuel door while you turn the key on?

It just started. I had a new fuel pump put on last week. Sometimes it starts and sometimes it doesn't. After letting it sit for a few hours it starts. Any ideas? I bet I didn't need a new fuel pump.

is there any certain times that you notice that it doesnt start? like after driving for a while then shutting it off, then it doesnt want to start until it sits a while?

Usually after it has set all night, but later in the day it does start.

so after a cold soak. aka sitting overnight. ok. let me look up some things for you.

Thanks amigo.

thanks for your patience. Im going over 350 tsbs right now so its going to be a while

How old is the battery?

Less than a year old and clean terminals

ok. let me look at some other possibilities.

Ok thanks

thanks for your patience, im helping 5 other people at the same time...

Im going to open this up to others, I dont like for my customers to wait. some one will be with you shortly

Ok thanks man. I understand & nbd.
Ford Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Does the fuel pump prime for 2 seconds those times when it don't start? the first few seconds the key is turned to start, the fuel pump should run, does it?

It's a new fuel pump (replaced last week). That is what I had replaced 1st. Next time it doesn't start I'll listen closely.

Ok, and when it doesn't start if the fuel pump doesn't run, why wiggling the fuel pump relay and any fuel pump fuses, maybe one is just a little loose.

If it still won't start be prepared with a voltmeter or at least a 12 volt test light to do some testing.

Ok man thanks.

ok

Mike S.
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician