Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 1967 Thunderbird that was a barn find and I'm

I have a 1967...
I have a 1967 Thunderbird that was a barn find and I'm storage for 20 years.It is in great shape .I have restored the car to drivable condition.It has a 390 V8 And a C 6 transmission.The carburetor .Points ,condenser plugs have been replaced.Carburetor rebuilt as well as a new fuel tank.,lines and fuel pump.new vented gas cap.New power booster as well as brakes.It run great until I come to a stop light or take a turn the car just stalls.I have to pull over and it takes a couple of min to get started.This is a hit a miss thing.I can drive for 30 min on the highway and exit a secondary road and it may run another 10 miles before it just stalls? Like it is starving for fuel.No hesitation or misfiring just thus intermittent stalling? Any help would be great! Timing has been checked..
Thunderbird 390 Special V-8 Engine (315 Horsepower)
4.05" Bore x 3.78" Stroke/10.5 to 1 Compression Ratio
4-Barrel Autolite 4300 Carburetor/Dual Exhaust System
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/7/2017
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

hook up a tachometer, a fuel pressure gauge and a voltmeter to the positive side of the coil so the next tine it stalls quickly check the fuel pressure, then if it won,t start right back up see if you get atach reading while cranking the engine over and if not see if the voltmeter still shows voltage to the ignition primary circuit or not.

Thanks! I will try,
Thanks so much! I will give it a shot!

If it's the tach that goes out but not the voltmeter, you may have a bad ignition coil that after it gets warm or hot it is failing.

Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Mike S.
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician