Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Got disconnected on question about idol issues with 2001

Customer Question
Ford Taurus 3.0, OHV. replaced...
Got disconnected on question about idol issues with 2001 Ford Taurus 3.0, OHV. replaced EGR, Regulator, IAR, TPS and more. The idol becomes normal when hose from regulator is disconnected. When idling it surges at high RPM, 1bout 12-1400 and sound as if it wants to stall. Cannot find air leaks and have replaced upper manifold gaskets, PCV Valve and PCV elbow.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
Last conversation ID 17574171-677
6/4/2017
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 6 months ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Is the idle really rough or is it just a slight rough idle?

really rough
fast, about 1200 RPM
It does not stall but sounds as if it wants to.
When I disconnect the EGR from the regulator, the idle returns to smooth and 600 RPM.

If you unplug the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve, does it stall?

Not completely, RPMs drop to about 400, sounds like it wants to stall, runs rough, repeatedly almost stalls but continues running. When IAR is re-plugged it picks up RPMs and goes back to rough and fast idle.
I meant IAC in last message not IAR.

Unplug the Mass Air Flow Sensor near the air filter. We need to narrow down what is causing the problem.

When I disconnected the MAS RPMs immediately dropped to about 700 but idle remained rough and surging. When I plugged it back in nothing changed from when it was disconnected. I restarted the car and did it again with the same results.

Do you have a spray can of brake clean or carburetor cleaner?

I have throttle body cleaner
I just also located some carburetor cleaner

Start the engine and spray it slowly around the intake manifold and around gaskets, seals and hoses and see if the idle changes at any certain spot.

OK

ok

I wish I could say that I found the leak but after spraying over a can, I found nowhere that made any difference or change in the idle. It continues to surge almost as if but still surge from 650 RMP to 825 RPM.
The only time I can get this to smooth out is when I disconnect the EGR from the regulator.

I am out of ideas. I'll OPT OUT and reopen your question to the other experts.

OK Thanks
I started thinking about the issue and your comment that I should not be pulling a constant vacuum. I also learned that with no power to the regulator it should be closed, and with all power disconnected it should not be pulling vacuum to the EGR. With this in mind I disconnected the regulator from power with the engine running and found I still had vacuum to the EGR. This told me the regulator was most likely stuck open even though it was new. I replaced the regulator and the idle problem is now gone.

Thank you for the update.

A. Penland
A. Penland