Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Has a terrible miss, OBD2 say miss fire on cylinder #8.

Customer Question
Changed the coils and plugs...
has a terrible miss, OBD2 say miss fire on cylinder #8. Changed the coils and plugs, installed phaser lock out kit, timing chains, crankshaft positioning sensor, camshaft positioning sensors and VCT solenoids
JA: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?
Customer: no stall at low speed, but shudders and shakes when pressing the accelerator.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2010 F150 Platinum 5.4
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Everything I put in the first sentence.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I've ordered fuel injectors for it. After that I may try the fuel pump.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
5/31/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 6 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

These engine have issue with oil flow thru the heads causing the vct malfunction , was oil changed and how did it look , did you pull valve cover and inspect inside of it for oil sludge ?

any fault showing if you scan it

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Please read the first message I sent. Of course I had the valve covers off to change the VCT solenoids. The oil is clean and no sludge.
no phone calls

ok I got you ,

any faults ?

have you checked oil pressure at idle ?

any fault codes ?

what is the oil pressure at idle,below are your specs

I do not do phone call,so ignore the system sending you phone call request not me

2010 Ford Truck F 150 2WD V8-5.4L Flex Fuel

Save Article

Minimum oil pressure at idle (engine at normal operating temperature)172 kPa (25 psi) Oil Pressure at 2000 rpm (engine at normal operating temperature)275-517 kPa (40-75 psi)

What does oil pressure have to do with a miss fire? According to the oil pressure gauge it is up past 3/4 at idle. The fault code is miss fire on cylinder #8. Changed that plug and coil twice.

You called me for help ,if you know it all ,you do not need me

you saying that what does the misfire has to do with the it , ( says it all ),

good luck to you sir

I choose to opt out of your question now and let another expert assist you on it

Ford Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 6 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, is this the 5.4 triton 3v

Have you checked compression on #8? Have you checked for a broken spring?

http://gotaclassaction.com/ford-sued-over-latent-defects-in-vehicles-equipped-with-the-5-4l-engine/

David, it only misses if I am a little aggressive on the pedal. If I ease down on the pedal(very slowly) while driving it does fine, but people honk at me for being so slow. Wouldn't a broken spring be a constant miss?

that what I thought too. until I opened the valve cover. and ended up replacing the spring, all the rockers and even after that had to replace a slightly bent valve.

Ive had 3 of theses in my shop the past 2 years and was only able to fix 1

I will check it out. Thanks

you bet

just checking in to see how its going

Ron, ASE Certified Technician