Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

While driving ,without warning. engine racing, transmission…

While driving ,without warning...

While driving ,without warning. engine racing, transmission not engaging. stopped, no engaging in any gear. fluid level was good.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your transmission fluid last checked?

About three month ago I add about a pint.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2001 ford tauras

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?

I had it towed home, haven't tried anything yet.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Can't think of anything.

5/22/2017
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I'm here to help 365 days a year, but not every hour of the day. I try to prevent delays as much as possible. Please understand I am not there and can only advise based on what you tell me. Let's get started.

Inside the torque converter is a toothed plate that the pump shaft engages. This plate has stripped and the pump is now not turning thus no pressure to apply the clutches. This is normally the issue which fits your symptoms. A line pressure test will verify this. A replacement converter is all that is needed. I normally go ahead and replace the fluid and front pump seal at the same time.

Please make sure to rate my answer prior to logging off, as this is how I get credit for helping you. If you have not yet received 5 star excellent service from me. Please follow up so you get everything from me that you expected from the deposit you have already paid, which I get nothing of till you rate me. Rating does not close the post nor prevent replying at a later date.

Thanks Moose

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician