Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My water coolant gauge in the cab is all the reading call…

My water coolant gauge in...
My water coolant gauge in the cab is all the reading call and need to change either the Center or the sender but I cannot find out which one or where they are located. 2001 Ford Explorer 5.0 L all Wheel Dr., Eddie Bauer is the automobile. Please do not give me the same mechanic as I had last time too hung up on me
5/20/2017
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

Are you looking to replace the coolant sender unit for the gauge?

The coolant sensor for the gauge is a single wire (red/wht) directly behind the alternator bracket on intake manifold.

Here is the engine diagram showing where the two different coolant sensors are. The one for the gauge is the single wire one and the double wire one is for the computer and does not work the gauge.

"I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help, you can hold off on the rating for now and reply back here -- I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you"

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Im sorry Jay but that doesn't help me. I'm not even sure if it's the sender or the sensor! And I cannot see any pics on May have sent me.

Sorry here is diagram. If you take the single wire off of sender and turn on key you should see the gauge go all the way hot when ground the wire and all the way cold when it does not touch anything. If gauge is working good then you will see this movement.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/326u0ky2qlzl3j0/2001%20ford%20explorer%205.0%20engine%20diagram.pdf?dl=0

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. I'll try you sir. Taking too long with the other mech because we keep missing each other. Are u aVail to call now?

I am now.

Let me know if gauge max out with single wire grounded and key on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Does the sensor have to be unscrewed out?

No need to remove sensor. Disconnect the wire and touch outside of sensor where it goes into coolant passage and then while holding it on ground have someone turn on key and watch gauge. It should go to full hot. Then take wire off ground and see if gauge goes back down. If gauge moves up and down then it is working ok and wires are good. Replace sensor.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry for the late response. I have been chatting with another mechanic but it seems too difficult to get in touch with him and I am now considering switching to you. Are you available to call me

You can select phone call and connect us now if you want? Otherwise I will offer phone call from my end.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry but I do not see any where where I can select that option so why don't you go ahead and give me a call. I will probably just order the $28 a month service so that I can have unlimited talking and problem-solving each month anyway. Thx Art(###) ###-####
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You can call now

You have to accept phone call i just sent and then will ask to enter info.

Jaybird61
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I also forgot to ask you if there's anyway that I can check to see the length of the second bolt (M8) that attaches the thermostat housing? Once again it was a pleasure speaking with you and I will be in contact!

I do not know exact length of bolts but I would recommend sticking a small screwdriver into hole and measure depth of hole so you do not get one too long and bottom out. Use one about 1/2 inch shorter than total depth of hole to outside edge of housing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey jaybird you wouldn't believe what happened can you call me again real quick please

Tried but got voice mail. Going offline now. Will be back tomorrow afternoon.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry. So I put 100% water in thinking it might leak and sure enough it did! I did not screw the thermostat housing bolts tight enough. Guess what?? The head with about 1/4" of that bolt.... SNAPPED!!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Obviously tightened it too much. Do you know what the torque should be around for that boat by any chance
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Lbs torque for that Bolt not boat
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
was wondering if you think that it might hold enough to at least drive the truck around for a week or two
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will try to take a picture of that bolt

The bolt should not be tightened any more than 18 foot pounds.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not really enough space it's about a quarter inch and there's no threads catching. Suggestion
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Maybe I'll just glue it and hope that it stays instead of extracting it at this point. Are u avail ? Or not?

You cannot just glue a thermostat housing on. You should extract the broken bolt and install a new one. Add a washer behind bolt if its too long.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I actually found the original bowl now that it fell out on the ground but I do have an extractor set and I have to figure out what size to drill etc. etc.

Make sure you drill a hole in the center of the broke bolt and do not go too large or extractor will hurt the threads in hole. I have to sign off for the night. Talk more tomorrow if you need more help.

Use the new questions you opened since we already finished this one with phone call on temperature gauge issues.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Actually this is NOT completed.

Once you get the thermostat back in and retest coolant system.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Actually I should've use the bigger one because it broke off